Swiss talk

Let’s continue here about the new ESR/BESR discussion from Priorities for Improvements and new Features

Priorities for Improvements and new Features

The picture I posted is old but not necessarily outdated… check page 9 of the specification:
http://www.paymentstandards.ch/dam/downloads/ig-qr-bill-de.pdf

Yeah let’s continue here about the nonsense the QR-Code is…

My argument stands, nevertheless: what about those without a smartphone?
Let’s extend it to: “what about those without the ability to scan the QR-Code”?

ESR/BESR:
Let’s focus on the orange payslip; the important parts:
Recipient (Name & Address) or Bank & Receipient
Account-Number
Amount due
Reference-Number (with Parity-Check)

All these things were/are easy to enter in Online-Banking, OR to be scanned with the Bank-App who ready the combined “number” on the payslip.

With the QR-Code (I admit I’ve been over the text, maybe I overread the “workarounds”), there will be:
Address,
IBAN,
“Additional Information”
Amount
and “Zahlbar durch” (to be paied by)

Well good luck entering the additional Informations, typos will be preprogrammed if the Infos contain anything else than numbers…

And …for what all this? As mentioned before: it’s easy to scan the “old” ESR/BESR-slips. Even Apps can do it.

At least, there’s no Endtime for the old system; imagine all the companys having to replace their software (ERP isn’t something you replace all 5 years)…

Imagine the scan-systems that need to be implemented with banks AND the postoffices (for non-swiss: we can pay invoices at the post-office). And guess who’ll have to pay for it? RIGHT! The customers! How? Increased fees for desk payments (for the recipient, BUT they already started “forwarding” the fees to the client, so higher fees for the client) and/or highe postage-stamp-fees (as always)…

And there we are again: what about those without smartphones or capability to scan the code? …higher fees, more errors within the payment-process…
…and all this without ANY advantages for all the involved partys…

EDIT:
i forgot: the “Zahlbar durch” will/might cause issues; I sometimes take over payments for my parents (reasons are not important to the point); imagine I now pay the invoice “Zahlbar durch” my parents. And the new system is not able to cope with a different payer, as it clearly states “Zahlbar DURCH” as “to be paied by”, not “payed by” (Einbezahlt von). Good luck when this point will be overlooked during the implementation… And it sure does so atm!

As I understand it, it is not about making the payment process more expensive, quiet the opposite, but they want to shift the work from post offices to so called agencies (Shops that do basic tasks of a regular post office). It is much easier to implement a QR code based solution at a POS terminal than the existing numeric code line. So in the future you can buy your newspaper and pay your bill at a kiosk… but if you once need a real post office and you don’t live in a city you will be out of luck… because many post offices in less populated areas will be closed…

That should not be a problem… In fact it is in your favour… Until now, it was actually wrong, when you payed your parents bill, since it was stated paid by your parents but it was actually you who payed it… The new wording is therefore correct. The bill was sent to be paid by your parents but nobody cares who really pays it…

The main reason for the QR Code payment slip is simplicity for the user in combination with additional information required by the finance transactions.

Everything that is in the QR code encoded must also be printed on the payment slip in clear text so it can be entered manually if no scan facility exists.

On the old pay slip, recipient of the invoice plus sender of the invoice is printed. This is for the future not enough to implement the upcoming extended money laundering legislation. Therefore it will be extended to Payable by and payed by on the sender side and the equivalent on the recipient side, payed to and payed for. This gives the information on who payed it to whom (money flow) and from whom is the money and to whom it goes (wirtschaftliche Berechtigung). These fields are also starting to appear in online banking masks.

But long story short, it will be years till the current payment slip will be decommissioned. What is required by a scanner is the OCR-B code line scan for the current slip and the QR code for the new to start Q3/2019 (date is 30.6.2020 onward for the introduction).

If Revolut aims to be a provider of a main bank account for an individual in Switzerland, this is a must, beside local IBAN, no fees for all local money transfers. Basically, this means a proper integration within the Swiss payment system and therefore a direct connection to SIC. This will only happen as a bank and not under the current setup according to the UK legislation.

Ok - upcoming changes in money-laundry legislature is obviously a reason to change the system, I agree…

Yet, out of interest, are other countries (eg those two fighting for the lead of the OECD-money laundry list since 25 years - it’s not CH :wink: also implementing a simliar system? Because this change’d be THE chance to unify the payment-process in europe (EU + the 20 others) or within the OECD… Otherwhise it will be an isolated “island-solution” like twint…

I assume this is the case, but I never investigated this. Our key account from CS told us, that the structure to control this is built pan-europe and SEPA with its ISO20022 standard is a step in that direction.