Swiss Co-Users: Android pay available?

I just installed App-Updates and had “Android Pay” visible on my Nexus5x with StockROM…

Does anyone else have Android Pay/Google Pay (why the different Naming?) suddendly available on his/hers smartphone?

Unfortunatly, my swiss CC wasn’t accepted, neither TW… BUT I was able to activate my revolut card with it… Is this just a glinch with the new Revolut-Version that has been updated today, or did Google finally realise “there are other countries than US and germany”?

It’s not about stock or custom ROM but the model.
I have a Samsung A5 2017 which should have Samsung Pay available but because it’s the international model SM-520F I somehow can’t use it. Even though, it was part of the advertising

I don’t see Google pay on my HTC U12+ and can’t install it from Google Play. Would be nice to give it a try.

@Daidai
Actually, it IS a question about the ROM - try to go to a shop of your Provider and ask them to install a “Swiss ROM” on your phone (sometimes, they are cooperative)

@OliverCH
…I had it after the update, didn’t have to install it seperatly, it “appeared” after i installed the latest “Google”-Update…

I’m somewhat confused AND alarmed; IF it is the official App and Google finally brought Pay to CH, obviously it’d be great; but if it’s a spam/phising-attempt, I have to find a solution to keep my banking-Apps running on Custom-ROM (my mainbank uses an App now, that does not like Root or an open Bootloader) as my phone’d be no longer to be considered “safe”… :-/

(is there a way i can check the app for authenticity?)

it seems to be legitimate
https://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-use-android-pay-678739/

Interestingly enough I can now open android pay on my HTC as well. Adding my virtual Visa does not work, it aborts after the terms and conditions acceptance.
@Daidai, what card did you link? What bin number does it have? See binlist.net, is it an uk or ch one?

@Daidai
…except there’s no Info about Google launching GPay in Switzerland, thus the question “how to find out if the app is legit or a fraud”, as I - acc. a semi-automatic Google-Response (first attempt = copying FAQ-answers and hope the customer’s satisfied) - shouldn’t see the app, as I’m in CH, using a device bought in CH with CH-Sim…

Well obviously I’m happy I can use the Revolut-Card with my CellPhone, YET it’d be interesting if google just sent an update too early and is about launching GPay in CH (which’d be bloody time - not everyone uses Sam Sung and the bitten Apple-Products), or if I’m going to be a victim of a fraud-attempt (as I moron registered the Revolut-Card within that App

@OliverCH
Be happy - Google negating the availability of Android Pay/Google Pay in CH, it might as well be another “lets try a non-closed security-leak within Android”-attempt…

Edit: btw I registered my physical Revolut-Card (as I don’t have a virtual one); it didn’t accept my SupercardPlus or the TW-Card

I did not link any card as non of the pay apps work on my international model. I now sent an email to the Samsung Pay support.

It’s very interesting. I’ve now added my physical R Mastercard, BIN from UK, issued in late 2017, to my Google Account through the normal web settings front end on my PC.

I could open Android Pay on my HTC and choose that card. This time, the activation worked. In the process of activation I received an authorisation request (value 0) from MasterCard itself, then one from Google. Interestingly enough, the one from Google was in CHF (the MC one in US$).

As a last step I received an SMS from Revolut with a code which I had to enter in the last step of the setup. After that was done, Revolut sent a Push notification that GPay is now activated as well as Google sent a mail with similar content.

NB: My Google Account is registered to my Swiss address and only to that.

Funny - i just checked, the MasterCard-autorisation i got was in CHF, too…?

Eventough the activation-process was the same, I don’t feel to comfy about this (maybe it’s just a little paranoia :wink:

A little update:
I received a theory from Google-Support (if you should ever need help - don’t ask them, they need help themselves :wink:

They believe I now can use GPay, as my paying-profile (?) shall be a foreign one. Checking it, it states swiss all day long…

I now tested my Android aka Google Pay activated HTC smartphone and could pay with NFC in the Bauhaus near Zurich without problems. CHF 117, no pin required, I just unlocked the phone beforehand.

I also don’t have any information in my Google profile suggesting something other than Swiss residenty. The only exception is the Visa and now MC from Revolut with UK BIN.

1 Like

I downloaded the GPay / AndroidPay apk, i was not able tho register my MC’s :thinking::pensive:

I only got my revolut-card working, no CH-card worked (and i wasn’t able to get paypal working with google-pay, neither)

But the app appeared without need of installing it - but i can’t install an update for it (eventough it’s an older app-version)

It’s official now: https://support.google.com/pay/answer/9095913

1 Like

Yep, I also just now received the E-Mail that it has officially launched…

Hey Oliver, how do you feel? To my knowledge, we were the only mere mortals in CH using GooglePay since Friday :wink:

Funny, isn’t it :slight_smile: Let’s now see if my Google Wear smart watch supports it as well!

Well yeah… Unfortunatly, except revolut, none of my cards’ supported yet. No “Superpunkte” for GPay (1st world problems :wink:

Looks like I have another reason to order a Mastercard now.

Great news

Activation on my Ticwatch Pro worked as well, I have yet to use it.