Support NFC functionality directly in the Revolut app for Android (without Google Pay)

I don’t use Google Pay (or any other Google services) and therefore can not make use of payments by NFC with my Revolut account.

Till now I thought that Google Pay is the only way to make payments by NFC possible, but I have just discovered that the app of a local bank can do that all by itself.

I just had to activate that functionality in that app and that’s it, no Google Pay needed.

It really would be great for those not using/trusting Google if that would be possible with the Revolut app as well!

8 Likes
2 Likes

@PoelieV well, shows that I’m not the only one with the desire for that functionality, and my reference to a local banking app proves that it is indeed possible.

Hopefully the Revolut app development team really will consider this!

2 Likes

For me it shows you didn’t use the search function before creating a new topic :wink: :rofl:

The topics are dating back to 2017 and 2018. Several local bankings apps with this technology already existed at that time. We are three years later now and Revolut still didn’t implement this, while the need for this functionality has only become less, since GooglePay and ApplePay (since then) are available in more and more countries. On top of that there is also (not all working with Revolut though) Samsung Pay, Garmin Pay, Fitbit Pay, Laks Pay et cetera. I actually know of a local bank that removed the functionality from its own app, because not enough customers were using it, since it’s very easy to get that functionality elsewhere nowadays. In my opinion it’s very unlikely that Revolut, after all these years, now ‘suddenly’ will consider. But hey…who knows :wink:

Is there nay new about Revolut nfc payment?

1 Like

Nothing has changed, still only Google Pay supported, though it would be so great to have native NFC support with the Revolut app!

1 Like

Yeap. Same problem here. It’s the ONLY thing stopping me getting a Metal subscription. REVOLUT, are you reading these comments?
My local bank has indeed its own app. But GPay is not available in my country. Apple pay IS working though, but I do not wish to move to Apple, therefoe I am stuck. Cannot use Revolut with my phone or watch. As for the Samsung option, forget it!. Even worse

1 Like

Yeah, it’s really sad, because Google Pay is still a no-go for me and in the meantime even more local banks have NFC Pay as functionality in their own apps.

People are so careless, because why would someone in the right state of mind give a company like Google or Apple all their payment data…

2 Likes

Contactless paying directly with Revolut via NFC would be a great feature. My smartphone is nearly ungoogled, but I can’t do without Google Pay. The next phone will be a Vollaphone, completely without Google. Contactless payment via phone is enormously helpful and important for me, due to illness-caused limited fine motor skills and sensitivity in my hands, what makes cash and card handling very complicated. Unfortunately there are no alternatives to Google Pay, when you are on Android.

8 Likes

This is certainly a good idea.
I too have virtually ditched Google, but as Revolut won’t let me use Samsung Wallet which has biometrics, I am dubious about NFC, with Google Wallet, which lacks biometric security in UK

4 Likes

That’s a good point, even HSBC with their dated and dusty app allows NFC payments directly, bypassing Google. Would be good if Revolut caught up.

4 Likes

Idem here i wana move to grapheneos and beable to pay directly from my revolut app by nfc without googlepaid service !
Please revolut do something for us we need a standalone app be able to do nfc for personnal and business account !
thanks

1 Like

@Kamika242 @Windowbox @glesga Thank you for your feedback and ideas :smiling_face:

@sudtek Welcome to the :r: community :sunflower:

Veda | Community Team

1 Like

Any news here? :thinking:
Finally would like to ban the last Google stuff from my phone.
Found an app called “Cards” which provides nfc payment functionality, but it’s quite dubious in my eyes.

More than 2 years have passed since I posted this, and nothing happened.

It really is a shame that a lot of banks go the easy way and recommend and support the use of Google Pay even though we all know that this functionality can be implemented in the individual banking app directly as well.

I never used Google Pay and I never will!

1 Like

Tried “Cards” once in the distant past, didn’t work and wouldn’t recommend it, as it’s just another 3rd party getting all your data, which is exactly what this is all about!

STAY AWAY FROM THE GOOGLE

1 Like

@Kamika242 Thank you for following up on this matter. I’m sorry to say that we do not have an update at the moment regarding NFC payments without using Google Pay. :frowning_face:

However, we are always looking for ways to improve and expand our services, and your feedback will be taken into consideration. :blush:

@o0o Hello and Greetings from the :r: community. :hugs: Thank you for these inputs. :blush:

Veda | Community team

1 Like

Same I thought while the first look into the app. This kept me away from adding a Revolut card for testing purposes, fortunately.

I also want the same thing. And to be honest mostly for another reason. Gpay NEEDS the screen to be locked. And I don’t lock my screen, because my daughter uses my phone too. Thing is that most bank apps (or other apps) lock JUST the app. (as revolut does). So you are at the same time safe AND you can keep using your phone without having to unlock it for EVERY task. so this addition would be extremely important for me, but unfortunately, they won’t add it soon.

1 Like

@bananasplit Hello and Greetings from the :r: community. We’re so thrilled to have you here. :blush:

I understand your concern about the need to lock your phone screen when using GPay. We appreciate your suggestion and we will take it into consideration. :blush:

If you have any further suggestions or feedback, please don’t hesitate to share it with us.

Veda | Community Team

1 Like