Sterling and Euros

Hi. I transferred some sterling onto my card and then converted it into Euros. Does this mean I have both sterling and euros on my card? How does it work when I present my card for payment? Thanks. (First time user.)

You have nothing on your card. You have cash in your account, with ledgers recording balances in EUR and GBP. For any transaction you attempt with the card, money will be taken from.one of those ledgers.
There is a “Help Centre” article that explains which ledger will be used. The gist is that if there is enough to cover the transaction money in the ledger denominated in the currency of the transaction you are attempting, that ledger will be used. If there is not enough money there, but there is enough money in your “home” currency ledger, that ledger will be used. Failing that, the ledger with greatest amount of money in it will be used. If no single ledger has enough money, the transaction will be declined.
That is from my memory, and my information here is worth precisely what you paid me for it :wink:, so you should also check the Help Centre.

1 Like

https://www.revolut.com/help/exploring-revolut/spending-and-sending-money/using-my-card/how-will-my-currency-balances-be-deducted-for-spending

5 Likes

Thanks, Tony. I knew it was there somewhere, but I haven’t worked out how to find the links to paste from within the app.

Many thanks. Your info has been very helpful. Rich

I’m unable to post a new topic (even though I’m level 1 now?) but this topic is related to Sterling and Euro so I’m hoping someone will see it…

I’m wondering if it is possible at all to send a fixed Sterling amount into a EUR account on a scheduled basis? I’m in the UK but I want to send a fixed GBP amount to a EUR account based on the current EUR rate each month.

The only workaround I can figure out is to set up a sterling Vault, transfer £100 into that each month, and have a reminder to transfer to EUR manually each month… It is possible to schedule a fixed EUR each month but then I would not be sending the correct GBP amount when rates shift…

Thanks!

From the help pages in the app:

That would be a function of the bank from which you are wishing to make the transfer to :r:

Cheers Graham, I think you misunderstood what I want to do… I’d like to transfer the equivalent of £100 but in EUR each month…

When I schedule a regular EUR payment I have to choose the amount in EUR, say €119, but next month 119 Euro won’t equate to £100.

I’m assuming this isn’t a feature, but was wondering if there is any workaround that anyone else can think of!

Cheers
James

I don’t think that’s possible given the fluidity of the exchange rate to be honest. Best you could do is to consider the average exchange rate as per (perhaps) the ECB pound sterling Euro rate which is around 1.16 this year and transfer the equivalent GBP monthly in to your GBP wallet or just transfer 100 GBP and have done with it.

How can I start a post in this community? Sorry when I am wrong here, but I could not find where to start a new post?

As this is the first time you have posted (welcome!) you will not be able to start a new topic until your Trust Level reaches a higher level.
In the meantime, ise the search tool to see if someone else has posted a question similar to your issue where you should be able to make a contribution to that topic.

1 Like