Statements in Excel - CSV format errors

When exporting transactions to Excel the .CSV format is used. The comma is used as separator. However the comma is also used as a delimiter for the thousands. As a result importing transactions or balances larger than one thousand messes things up.

Example:
03 May 2017 , Exchange to EUR , , €15.71 , , , 1, 298.05, general

Because of the comma “1,298.05” is interpreted as two separate values “1” and “298.05” in stead of the value “1298.05”.

You might remove the comma as delimiter for thousands when exporting to CSV. Thanks!

11 Likes

Just came across this too. The date is also not idea as it needs a special date format to be selected in order to be converted. This makes is ver tedious to export the data to budgeting apps such as YNAB. Another option would be to suply the data in a standard .qif or Microsoft money format.

2 Likes

Someone at Revolut needs to take a read through the specification for CSV. For the UK, field separator is supposed to be comma.

The issue with thousands separators, decimal points/commas and all that HAS been taken care of in the spec.

Pleas get rid of the semicolon separators in CSV for the UK! Excel won’t import properly when set up for UK/US without manual intervention.

8 Likes

Get on with it, Revolut. The clue is in the name: CSV means COMMA separated values. Why are you still using semicolons?

4 Likes

I also don’t get why they don’t even add the time of the transaction when they even show it in the app. Is it that hard to proper format a simple csv? Why??

4 Likes

I find Revolut’s silence about this deafening. It is not complicated to change, ffs!

1 Like

Up! This issue has been known since Jul 2017 already. 4 years!

When exporting the historical data into a csv, the digit grouping symbol that is commonly used in the UK and in French-speaking country is the comma (,). However, this (,) can be found in the description name of each transaction and in the thousands separator. When generating the csv, this leads to extra (empty) columns instead of column ‘Completed date’, ‘Description’, to ‘Notes’.

Hence, a transaction which description is “Bought XAG with GBP FX Rate £1 = 0.04621 XAG, Fee: £0.27” is splitted in two columns “Bought XAG with GBP FX Rate £1 = 0.04621 XAG” (column C) and “Fee: £0.27” (column D).

A transaction in paid in which is “1,000£” (column D) is split in 2 columns “1” (col. D) and “0” (col. E). Opening that exact file in a Google Sheet gives you “1” and “000”.

@Revolut, please look at this issue!!

Screenshot_4|690x55

1 Like

This is a regression, up until last month “;” was used as the delimeter. Now the dates have commas in them, so we have lines like this:

Completed Date , Description , Paid Out (EUR) , Paid In (EUR)
Mar 20, 2021 , To some person, 123.00 , ...

…getting parsed like so:

Completed Date Description Paid Out (EUR) Paid In (EUR)
May 20 2021 To some person 123.00

Note that this can work just fine with csv with commas:

Completed Date , Description , Paid Out (EUR) , Paid In (EUR)
"Mar 20, 2021" , To some person, 123.00 , ...

will parse correctly, try it!

1 Like

This is still an issue. OS language is set to Polish on my phone. I’m getting something like this in the “CSV”:
25.02.2021 , aliexpress.com , 5,80 , , , , 12,04, Zakupy,
Good luck with parsing this
It should be
25.02.2021 , aliexpress.com , 5.80 , , , , 12.04, Zakupy,

2 Likes

This is also a pain for cryptoassets reports. I’ve had to spend hours reformatting. Revolut don’t read anything in here

1 Like

Just noticed this as well - regression with bad CSV format, the comma is used as a thousands separator and as a field separator

There is a workaround to use " , " (comma surrounded by spaces) as a field separator - if your application supports this.

The export should use country-specific settings because number formats and CSV separator differ from country to country (at least for Excel import)

1 Like

Something changed during the last weeks indeed.
Good thing: I can save CSV directly and not forced to use GMail to send it to myself.
Bad thing: using same character for separators as for number separator.
My banking application cannot work with that. I can configure it for different characters so I don’t care that much about which character is used for what but the field separator must be unique!
Has anyone reached out to the official support yet?

2 Likes

I also have this problem when trying to upload my revolut crypto portfolio to koinly.io and accointing. Owing to Revoluts poor CSV format , I have to painstakingly amend revoluts CSV or enter each transaction manually. It’s awful. Revolut isn’t a good place to buy cryptoassets or report on them.

1 Like

Same here with hungarian settings. The numbers contains commas, so the CSV is unusable!! Please fix this and use semicolons as seperator or point in the numbers

1. dec. 28. , Paypal * Átváltási árfolyam: 1 Ft=0,0027 € , 7 740,65 , , EUR 21,31 , , 600,27, Szórakozás,
1 Like

Hi Folks,

If you are on windows platform you can use Powershell to quickly convert the content:

(Get-Content ‘.\Revolut-Statement-IN.csv’) | Foreach-object {$_ -replace ‘([0-9]),([0-9])’,’$1.$2’} | Out-File -Encoding default ‘Revolut-Statement-OUT.csv’

One file as the input, regular expression replaces “,” to “.” but only for those occurrences where “,” was between digits. The second file as the output. That’s all.

Art

It happened to me yesterday upon first time I have needed to do it. I was in a “Live Chat” session with ultimately 2 support guys on this subject. Whether this had anything to do with the rollout of v8 - who knows?
The 1st support guy sent me the same csv file which opened up in my excel, and it was perfect in terms of formatting the numbers greater than 999.99 but the columns were completely different, ie new columns, ordered differently, the transaction “Notes” column dropped/missing. They seemed to think this was a non-issue, resolved previously, or an unknown bug. As a retired computer programmer/support analyst I assume they did not extract the file as a “customer” and their extract was handled correctly. As the chat went on way beyond 1am thhe issue was not resolved and I closed the chat

1 Like

The separators in the Revolut CSV seem to be not just “,”, but " , ".

I open the file in word; replace " , " (space-comma-space) with a semicolon.

Open excel, import data, from text - and specify the delimiter is a semicolon.

Its not perfect - the last column is still messed up - but its much easier to work around.

Hope it helps

1 Like

It seems Revolut solved all CSV issues by removing support for the format altogether. I cannot find it on my iOS app anymore. Anyone here can see anything else than PDF export (related Data export - #5 by valtf ).

1 Like

Odd. I can’t confirm that, it’s still here for me. (iOS, latest beta, version 8.15 build 13180.)

1 Like

It used to be here, am I right? And you still have it there? I’m on the same version. Will contact support.

2 Likes