Spanish issued cards

Hi :slight_smile:

Does a Spanish resident get a local issued card now?

1 Like

I believe you may as I’ve heard reports of Spanish residents getting no DCC prompts.

Mastercard actually banned these for prepaid multi-currency accounts though so you should be fine

Ok, thank you :). But many Spanish online shops only accept Spanish cards. Do the revolut cards have a Spanish BIN if issued to a Spanish resident?

Huh, wasn’t aware of this.

Could @NFH confirm if this is legal? :wink:

@anon33247966 could you confirm if Spanish residents get locally issued BIN numbers?

Alternatively, can any spaniards here post the first 6 digits of their debit card numbers?

This is a clear breach of Article 5(1) of Regulation (EU) 2018/302. Report specific breaches by Spanish merchants to ECCNET-ES@ec.europa.eu and formally request enforcement action.

I had the same problem as I am living in Spain, e.g. telephone companies or utilities (Endesa, electricity provider) only accept card payments from Spanish cards.
Last year, after several refusals over the previous months the TUENTI telephone operator eventually accepted my Revolut card for monthly bill settlement (with no specific effort from my part)
So this year I pushed hard and eventually had some success with the DIGI MOBIL telephone company which now accepts “foreign” cards and lists on their website all countries they accept (basically EEC + Switzerland and some others, presumably associates of the EEC)

Tuenti have always accepted my German Visa card online since I became a prepaid customer in 2014.

I reported Simyo.es on the 15th May 2019 and I have received an answer today:

Thank you very much for the information, we are going to inform the corresponding authorities.

Kind regards,

CEC-ES - Centro Europeo del Consumidor en España
C/ Príncipe de Vergara, 54. 28006 – Madrid

1 Like