Round up your spare change and save with Vaults šŸ’ø

To be honest, this is a feature traditional banks also had. I know at least two banks that had this same savings feature for card payments since 2010.

Donā€™t get me wrong. I like the feature and I am happy that it is there. Nothing wrong with integrating features someone else already has, of course.

I am not disappointed, but the feature could be improved if they would pay interest on the savings. Maybe after they obtained a banking license.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was just wondering! :stuck_out_tongue:

I donā€™t know any Portuguese bank with this feature thatā€™s why I was really happy about it.

I wish they can let us round up to .50 though, making a purchase of 5.05 and having it round up to 6.00 is way too much.

I think the steps should be fully configurable. For some currencies, like JPY, 1 also does not make sense since itā€™s just too small. You would want 1000 or 500 for JPY.

5 Likes

I really like that new feature! For all those who donā€™t, you can simply not use it :slight_smile:

There is a small UI issue though:

On one screen the spare change savings is per month, on the other one itā€™s per week :thinking:
Poke @anon33247966

2 Likes

CGD actually offers it, but Iā€™m not sure if they do for every account or how to activate it, but if you can have it on your account then itā€™s fully customisable, meaning you can round up to the nearest .5ā‚¬, 1ā‚¬, 5ā‚¬, etc.

1 Like

Pretty sure they will add this option at one point :+1:

Imagine rounding up to the next 5 Euros for every purchase though :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Weā€™re working on a fix as we speak! Thank you for your feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still not available here, how long does this roll out take?

on which Revolutā€™s appā€™s revision are you now?

Iā€™m on 4.16.0, updated on April 4. There is no recent update here (running android 8.1)

hmmm, I thought that you have some obsolete revision of the app.
I was wrong, soā€¦ you probably you have to just relax and waitā€¦

Vaults do make me question somethingā€¦
Is the amount in the vaults counted in your total balance, or not?
Fi, if you want to fill up your car, you need a balance of ā‚¬150 or the transaction will be refused. Letā€™s say there is a balance of ā‚¬ 70, and ā‚¬ 100 in a vault, will it be possible to make this type of payment. I believe only your actual balance will be regarded in this exampleā€¦

1 Like

No retail bank (that intends to stay in business) pays meaningful interest.

If you want short-term return, you invest in a money-market fund, while if you want capital growth, you invest it in the capital markets (Equities, mutual funds, ā€¦).

Another question, for the lower-tier income poor-ass students here.
IMAGINE (definitely not the case here :thinking:) that I have ā‚¬0.50 in my account and I want to buy a ā‚¬0.49 coffee. :r: tries to round it up to ā‚¬1. Does the transaction go through and the vault saving fail or does it fail altogether?

4 Likes

My guess is that the transaction goes through, and there is no Vault deposit.

I had a similar situation on EUR (while my main currency is CHF) - I had enough money in EUR for the transaction to go through, but not enough to transfer to the Vault. And there was not Vault transfer in this case.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t know about that, thanks for the info! I might give them a call and ask about that feature!

1 Like

Is there a way to disable the feature, in terms of putting the spare change to the Vault?

1 Like

Yes this Vault thing is purely optional, and not enabled by default.
You basically create a Vault, and you can:

• Deposit money inside whenever you want
  • Setup a regular deposit (monthly/weekly) of any amount
  • Enable the rounding up feature (/spare change) for your payments
2 Likes

I might use this if there was an incentive like interest. Iā€™m not going to set up a recurring payment of money into a vault with Revolut when I can do a similar thing with my bank and earn interest on it.

Once youā€™ve set it up, just go to Vaults, select the one you want to adjust, tap + and toggle the change-saving feature off.

3 Likes