Revolut Japan acceptance?

Hi,

Just came back from Japan (mid-July) and this was my experience with Revolut:

-No problem at all with ATM withdrawals at 7-Eleven. I have a Visa card and they charged 216 yen per transaction (regardless of the amount). My friend has a MasterCard (standard plan) and she was charged nothing :thinking:

-I was able to pay everywhere where they accepted cards (Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Koyasan, Kanazawa, Takayama).

-I changed to yens when the exchange rate was more favourable before travelling there (I had set an alarm for a exhange rate).

-I always made sure I had yens in my account (exchanged in advance) so I never had to pay in EUR on a weekend, when Revolut applies a fee as the European markets are closed (Weekend exchange-rate surcharge clarification).

In short, it worked perfectly :slight_smile:

1 Like

What about Revolut via Apple Pay, did 7/11;FamiliMart/Lawson accept it?

Can someone check if paying contactless with virtual Visa cards is possible in Yodobashi?

And if paying with virtual Visa cards gives you the 5% tourist discount (on top of the 8% no-tax offer)?
I would be super super grateful if someone could give me this information :pray:

Theres been an increase in acceptance of cards in Tokyo, because of the olympics.
Good tip use Mastercard in 7/11 ATMS and you wont get charged for withdrawls.
But yeah always carry cash just incase.
You should also get a Pasimo Card for transport if your in tokyo, you can also pay with that same card in some places for food and so on.

You mean an IC card, Pasmo is just one of them.

If you have an iPhone you can download the app “SuicaEng” and get one that you can load with your Revolut card!

Yeah!
No iphone here, but that sounds very usefull!

Im in Tokyo and so far Apple Pay only worked in Lawson combini. Yodobashi and Bic requires physical visa for the discount.

But no worries if you need discount just use coupons from the app IKIDANE which is even higher than the visa discount :slight_smile: but for BIC

No need of app in iOS 13 you can create/charge suica directly from wallet :slight_smile:

To add the Suica you need the app :slight_smile:

Thank you for the info! The reason I ask is because I want to buy some Apple stuff which is not covered by the BIC coupons (but is covered in the Yodobashi discount). I seem to have solved the Visa issue now if all goes according to plan before I travel. :smiling_imp:

You do not read my post :slight_smile: in ios 13 you will not need the app!

I’m using iOS 13 and I need the app, how are you adding it?!

The new iOS 13 Set up a Suica card in Apple Pay instructions are this:

1. Set Region to Japan
  2. Open Wallet and tap the plus sign
  3. Tap Continue.
  4. Tap Suica Card.
  5. Select an amount to put on your transit card.
  6. Follow the steps to create a new transit card on your iPhone.

Setting my region to japan seems silly though when I live in Europe - much easier to install the app :thinking:

Unless that links the card itself to my Apple Store account

Changing iPhone region back and forward do not change almost nothing on the phone…and it is just a click I have done it million times (and im in EU). :slight_smile:
“links the card itself to my Apple Store account” - what do you mean, all your cards are icloud saved in general.

1 Like

You can add an Suica card directly into your Apple wallet but older iPhones only support that if they where bought in Japan.

Check the Apple support page for Suica for more infos.

Hi Guys, I just arrived yesterday in Japan for a 6 month period and I have to pay 58,000 yen deposit for my accommodation. I tried withdrawing money at a local 711, but my card was immediately rejected. Has anyone run into such a problem? Do you guys recommend any other ATM’s that don’t charge a lot in fees? I have a VISA issued in 2017 if that matters.

I have withdrawed with my Mastercard in 7/11 like 2 times between 20k-30k yen with no problem (several days ago). VISA also worked but with a small fee. Both issued in 2018.

Did you allow ATM option and mag-stripe option?

1 Like