Revolut Japan acceptance?

I wonder how is Revolut Japan acceptance (not ATM) in combini and shops as I intend to buy (40-50k) yens before my trip? (since the :r: conversion is better than my bank)?

0 Likes

Japan = Cash is King…
I use cards only for hotel and train tickets. Most of the shops and restaurants don’t accept MC/Visa, although chances are Visa is more widespread than MC. Some combinis like 7eleven have ATMs, so that might help to fix low on cash situations.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, I have been traveling for 8 years there, so I’m aware of the general situation :slight_smile: I just wanted to get specific info about :r: card acceptance?

1 Like

In most of the shops, they accept it. Most combini was ok: 7Eleven, FamilyMart, Lawson.
On some occasions, the clerk tried to swipe the card and even though the Swipe Payment setting was toggled on in the app, the transaction wouldn’t go through.
But wherever the card was introduced in the POS machine, it worked.

2 Likes

thanks for the reply!

0 Likes

Cards are accepted almost everywhere. I didn’t had any declined transaction.
Just be sure you activate the mag strip transactions as most POS in konbini are mag strip.
And I think MasterCard is a bit better than Visa (I had some issues with Visa in the past, not revolut tho).

1 Like

Its a bit weird that in so developed country like Japan “cash is king”.

0 Likes

Well yeah. Because they don’t use debit cards. Just credit cards.
Debit cards are just for ATMs and are not Visa/mastercard and it works just within the bank network

0 Likes

In my country you can use credit card just as your debit. Meaning you can put your own money on credit card account and bank don’t charge any interest. Not sure if this concept is same in Japan :slight_smile:

1 Like

In Japan they like to make everything that’s easy few dozens more complicated :joy:

2 Likes

Agreed! Never been to Japan, but its seem to be true judging from what I read/hear/see online.

0 Likes

It’s the same in Switzerland, which is also a very expensive developed country. There’s a similar mentality in Germany too.

0 Likes

It is related to the past vision/image of the credit cards that you are buying something that you cannot afford and do not have money for, which is negative in general.

0 Likes

Whole other story in USA. Banks there built a system where everything depend on your creditrating and basically force you to use credit cards aka debt is welcomed and not considered as something negative - its american way of life :rofl:

0 Likes

As a European just the word “debt” makes me uncomfortable on so many levels :smile:

1 Like

Not to be off topic, I have 2 :r: cards Visa and MC and I will test them next week in Tokyo and will write feedback here.

2 Likes

It’s true in Germany too!

1 Like

@Vebaev, I used a MC premium card. Seemed ok. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Hi, I used MC card without any trouble but remember to set in “Safety” the magnetic string" in ON.
I have taken money from ATM (7/11) but I coverted national currency into yen FIRST.

0 Likes

Currently in Japan at the moment: I confirm the post above, 7/11 ATMs accept MC and will not charge any fees for withdrawing from your Revolut account. (I do convert my funds into JPY beforehand in the app, though!)

3 Likes