Revolut in South Africa

Dear Folks,

I’m currently in SA and Revolut works like a charm. The only problem so far are the ATM of Standard Bank and ABSA Bank. They always want to add a 50 ZAR fee to my withdrawed sum (e.g. instead of 500 ZAR they will deduct 550 ZAR from my Revolut and keep the 50 ZAR).

The ATMs of FNB and Netbank work without this fee. So no problems and no fees here.

But there was one thing I was wondering about. On the slip of the ATM was stated that the Current Balance is 0 R (which may be correct because it’s a prepaid card). But then it also states an Available Balance of 36.336 R. What’s that? Can you explain this sum? I just have around 4.000 ZAR and 250 EUR in the Revolut account.

Summary: Card/Revolut works great in SA. Not all ATMs allow free cash withdrawals.

Greetings
Erik

Also just returned from SA and concur with Erik - Revolut card was perfect. Over 50 pos transactions and 2 ATM withdrawals with no issues. Nedbank & FNB ATMs didn’t charge me for use.

Can’t say I paid much attention to the ATM slips as I relied on the instant notifications.

The DCC scam, prevalent in Europe, didn’t occur in SA although the option did appear on the card machines the operators never selected it.

Thanks for the info so far. To withdraw from an ATM do I need to have rand loaded in my card or will it convert from Sterling ?

I think it will convert from Sterling but I recommend converting to Rand in the app. Do this during a weekday to avoid the weekend markup.

Apart from the weekend markup, why do you recommend converting to Rand in the app?

I prefer to have local currency on the card converted at a rate I’m happy with rather than bothering about the fx. Also the w/e markup applies to pos transactions as well as atm withdrawals so for frictionless use of the card this works best me. Any unused Rand can be exchanged back to the base currency at no cost at the end of the trip.