REQUEST: Free virtual spare cards

Hi to clarify.

only 1 card is free virtual or physical (only delivery cost applying) is that right ?
as your message isnt clear, probably many people think

virtual card free and physical free too, but you pay for delivery and doesnt matter in what order you are ordering.

for example
if I get 1st virtual MC - free
then I get as 2nd physical MC - I will pay 5GBP+delivery cost (appeared equal of 2GBP)

if I get 1st physical MC - I will pay delivery cost 5GBP
then I get as 2nd virtual MC - I will pay 5GBP

which option is right? both option are choice 7GBP against 10GBP isnt it?

strange thing are 3 delivery options

standard 2GBP 6days
express 2GBP 7DAYS !!! YES EXPRESS LONGER 1 DAY THAN STANDARD
global express FREE 7DAYS !!! YES EXPRESS LONGER 1 DAY THAN STANDARD BUT FREE
(and I didnt choose yet Premium feature)
sorry for capitals as it is to underline.

Let’s try to clarify the fees for card issuing:

1st card is free. If it’s “just” a virtual one, no further fees. But if one decides to make the first card a physical one, one has to pay for delivery.

From there on, all further cards, virtual or physical does not matter, are defined as “spare cards” or secondary cards. The fee for every spare card is the same, 5 GBP. And then again, if one decides to make the second card a physical one, one has to pay extra for delivery.

(Sorry, can’t help you out with delivery fees. I would rely on what they say in the FAQs.)

1 Like

Hi @vbreaker

@Frank is right.

Global free delivery is only available to premium users. Please choose standard or express delivery :raised_hands:

Hi there, I can agree with you. If we seek innovation, that is non-free either. Plus, I really do not see why anything should be free. If it is, then great, like the free services of Revolut. I however have to admit, that should I quit receiving my paycheck, I would look for another job. We may argue that a price is too high for us, but that is sorted out by supply and demand plus the business plans of an enterprise.

1 Like

In the context of virtual cards, the reason why Revolut charges a fee to create virtual cards (Some people would assume that, because virtual cards are virtual, and therefore ‘only’ bits of data, and do not have the costs associated with a physical card–manufacturing the card, delivering the card, …–that virtual cards should be free.) is because the payment processor that Revolut uses charges money for the creation of each new card, virtual or not.

Regarding costs and fees in financial services… The old(er) retail banks are able to offer certain services for an artificially low price (e.g. Unlimited ATM withdrawals, free current accounts, …) because these products are cross-subidised from their other financial products. Overdrafts, credit cards, mortgages, FX conversions via currency accounts, … all have a more expensive commission or/and an unfavourable FX spread.

1 Like

and what if I have a physical card, I pay for a spare virtual card then I delete it. Will I get the new virtual card for free or I have to pay for it again?

As long as you have an active card, virtual or physical does not matter, a 2nd card always costs the spare card fee.

Frank my question was what if I order a second card so I pay for it then I delete the second card from the app (there is an option to do so). Will I be charged again for the second card if I request it again or not? (since I already paid for the second card but deleted it).

It does not matter how many cards you deleted. The second card always costs.

Why if I already paid for it?

Well, every time you order a card, a new card is issued. It is not like you are getting the same old 2nd card every time again.

the payment processor that Revolut uses charges money for the creation of each new card, virtual or not.

And even after a card is deleted/destroyed, the issuer has to keep records for all account related things for something like ten years due to regulations.

1 Like

Agree, that’s what I was referring to. :slight_smile:

Hi, I have just ordered my first physical card, which is on the way to my place. Simultaneously wanted to make a transfer usuing my virtual card, but it is being rejected.
Can you please advise, the reason behind this?
I went through the chat above and my understanding is I cannot use the virual card, due to the fact I ordered a physicial one, the same time cannot use my new card because has not been delivered yet.

I really doubt that a disposable virtual card would cost money. In France, the service Orange Cash has 200.000 subscribers, and it allows three things:

• Have a virtual wallet
  • Spend with Apple Pay from this wallet
  • Generate on-demand, disposable virtual cards, one card for one online transaction.

These cards are destroyed when the transaction is complete, and protect you online against recurring payments and credit card fraud. Using the app over months generates hundreds of these single-use cards. As the whole service is completely free, I simply can’t imagine that MasterCard takes any comission on a virtual card that’s alive just for a few minutes.

If the cost of a virtual card would be indeed around 5 GBP, Orange Cash would have hundreds of pounds of monthly fees for each user.

In reality, virtual cards are either completely free or imply a symbolic fee towards the issuer (a few cents). In either case, the GBP 5 fee is a ripoff.

The fees are charged by Mastercard, not Revolut.

I am sure that if it was up to Revolut, they would be happy to provide this feature at cost/free.

I assume Orange Cash is following the business model of legacy banks, whereby loss-making services (Current accounts in the UK, disposable virtual cards per transaction.) is recouped through big margins on other services.

Sure it generates costs. You think issuing a virtual card does not come with costs for setting it up, providing everything regulations demand? Of course does Mastercard charge for every card number issued. Why wouldn’t they? And documents related to services like bank accounts and cards have to be stored for a long time, like ten years, even if it is a one time disposable card.

You are just guessing without any source.

Several French banks (Fortuneo, Orange Cash) are offering to generate unlimited number of virtual cards without any cost. These bank accounts don’t have yearly fees either, so it’s not a “loss here, win there” model, but a similar wallet-like structure as Revolut.

Your argument is that there’s a lot of work involved with generating a card, thus it must cost money.

My argument is that since several banks offer unlimited virtual cards, it can’t cost money.

Without any source, noone can decide who’s right.

‘Without cost’ to the customer does not mean ‘without cost’ as a whole (especially to the bank.).

Just because water is free for students at a public school doesn’t mean that it is ‘free’. It is paid elsewhere (e.g. Via taxation.). Doesn’t mean that you can lay down a pipeline to the public school and water your farmland with water from the public school.

If virtual cards are offered by the French banks on an unlimited basis, it is a loss leader, and they are recouping the costs of providing that service via other methods (For example, higher interest rates charged on overdrafts, higher interest rates charged on financial products (Mortgages, credit cards, …), un-competitive FX rates when spending in another currency, …).

@frank never said that there was a lot of work involved with generating a card. What he said was that there is a fee for generating every card, and that is charged by the payments network (Whether it is Visa or Mastercard.).

1 Like