Regulation (EU) 2018/302 - EEA merchants can't refuse your Revolut card based on its country of issue

Jobs in Greece are more important rather than reporting the employer for not accepting a foreign salary iban.

Definitely, but you can still report them and take the job?

1 Like

probably noā€¦cause they will blacklist you.

How would they know who had reported them?

1 Like

because you will ask it and they will tell you no!

People in Greece never ask what bank they want to be payed.
Employee will tell you what bank will pay you.

For example, you go and work to a company ā€œAā€ and they will tell you to open a bank account in the bank that they have the company(lets say Alpha Bank). Then you find another work in company ā€œBā€ and they tell you to open an account in (Eurobank). (if not have an account in Eurobank).
So most people face this in Greece.

Wow. That is extraordinary. The only scenario where Iā€™ve seen anything similar in other European countries is where one is employed by the bank itself.

3 Likes

What about Spotify? As itā€™s not accepting :R cardsā€¦

As a workaround: PayPal.

1 Like

Very good advice to use PayPal. In any case, the lowest prices for Spotify are outside the EEA, where this EU legislation doesnā€™t apply and using PayPal is a necessity if you donā€™t have a locally-issued card. The following Spotify pricing index shows the Philippines as being the cheapest country:

I was getting this with paypal

But then I tried with virtual card instead of disposable it worked itā€™s weirdā€¦

Because PayPal charges the card to verify its realā€¦ so the disposable card would be destroyed.

I still canā€™t top up my Spanish Vodafone account with a card that was not issued in Spain.

2 Likes

Same with SimYo, Iā€™ve reported them. You can also do this: ECCNET-ES@ec.europa.eu (for Spain)

2 Likes

Yes, the e-mail address is eccnet-??@ec.europa.eu where ?? is the 2-letter top-level domain for the country. Itā€™s not clear whether you have to complain in your own country or whether you can complain in the country of the non-compliant business. For example, the UK service will take reports from UK residents about businesses outside the UK or about non-UK residents about businesses in the UK, whereas the Belgian service will direct you to their colleagues in your country of residence if you complain to them about a business in Belgium.

It seems that the worst offenders are mobile phone networks.

1 Like

I hate doing this via Paypal and not able to use :r: in Spotify as UK card and in non-UK country :frowning:

@Vebaev, what problem are you experiencing with Spotify?

I cannot put as a payment method :r: as it is UK card and Iā€™m registered in Bulgarian Spotify, it says my card country is different than my country ?! (this was at the beginning of 2019, then Iā€™m using :r: via paypal since than)

How they can reject card based on geo-restriction?!

If Spotify leaves you with no option but to use PayPal, why not change your Spotify country to the Philippines? PHP 129 (ā‚¬2.20) is the cheapest globally that you can pay for Spotify, which you can pay via PayPal using Revolut.

Have you reported Spotify to eccnet-bg@ec.europa.eu?

Did not report it (yet) but will.

In my case I am resident in Spain and have a Vodafone Spain sim card, I can top it up in a shop with my non Spanish bank account card (Revolut) but not on line on Vodafones web site, although I can pay via a 3rd party top up site. I have only found Orange to accept payment with cards that are not issued in the same country as the mobile account.
This does appear to be widespread with mobile phone providers.