Pub in Ireland tries to charge in Pound?

Last week I came across the situation that I paused in a pub here in Ireland. I had the terminal in my hand and was quiet confused to see that the terminal ask me if I want to pay in Pound.
I thought this is only happening if you actually ever had Pound on the card?

CU AssetBurned :wink:

A few questions:

1. What was changed on the Revolut app?
  2. Where in Ireland?
  3. How much was the charge in Sterling and how much was the EUR charge before you saw?

Beside the fact that I don’t remember all details anymore, I’m not here to complain about the volume of the transaction… I am wondering about how it ended up in that situation.

The card has a country code. In case of Revolut, this code tells the POS terminal that the card is issued in the UK. The terminal has no idea about your cards currency exchange capability and assumes the connected account is in GBP. POS terminals in touristy places might ask one if one wants to pay in the card’s currency instead of the local currency. I believe this has nothing to do with the currencies one is holding in the Revolut wallet.

Some Irish users’ cards appear to be UK registered so sterling is the default currency, others Euro. My card is US registered and in Euro, go figure. When you are paying with a sterling card at a Euro merchant with Direct Currency Conversion on their terminal the merchant can process the transaction in sterling at a terrible rate for you. Merchants get commission on DCC transactions. Contactless transactions are always processed at the local currency. At least you were given the option of paying in Sterling, often the merchant will just process it at the DCC rate and rip you off.

Correct.

If the ATM or card terminal asks whether you would like to complete the transaction ‘with conversion’ or ‘without conversion’, you should ALWAYS choose ‘without conversion’.

Thank you @Frank and @AndreasK