procedure for travelling ?

Hey guys, just wondering if you could help. I’me travelling to South Africa soon, so got my card, verified and have even changed my loaded funds into rand. I’m just wondering though, the rand funds are showing as a separate account, I’m presuming that once I get to south africa and use my card to pay in rand, it will use this account?

Secondly, do I need to do anything else in order to use revolut in abroad? I currently have location services off, just wondering if I need to turn it on, even just once, to let the app know I’m there?

Anything else I should know about?

Cheers for the help!

Hey it works as followed:

*The local currency of the merchant/ATM e.g. if you are in Spain, it will deduct funds from your Euro balance.

If your balance is not enough:
*Your base currency - i.e. if you used a UK address to sign-up, your base currency will be GBP.

If you also haven’t enough then:
*Your largest balance.

You just need to activate the location service either if you use the Revolut Travel insurance or/and if you enabled that you just can pay with your card if you’re close to it.

2 Likes

Always insist on paying in Rand (or local currency in general)and not in GBP. This is also applies for withdrawals at the ATM. Where you should keep an eye on the ‘free withdrawal limit’. (More > Profile > Price Plan)

You have to pay with PIN once to be able to active contactless payment for the card.

Make sure before the weekend that you have enough funds in Rand as there is a 0.5% markup on the exchange rate during the weekend

2 Likes

You might also want to read this:

2 Likes

Full details of how funds deducted

https://www.revolut.com/help/exploring-revolut/spending/how-will-my-currency-balances-be-deducted-for-spending

3 Likes

Groovy, thanks for that. Yeh, I realise you have to disable location if you’re likely to be out of data/reception, so will probably leave it off.

Glad to hear it will know to take rand when there without needing to do anything.

if i exchange Pound for Rand with my current exchange company do i just transfer the Rand into my Revolut account before i go to South Africa?

Hello, can I work with my virtual card in a foreign country without getting the real one ? I mean, the card arrives the 29th and I leave the 26th. Thanks

It depends. With a virtual card you can pay online and/or pay on phisical shops using Google pay/Apple pay after you have added your card to them… (if your phone have NFC and is enabled to touch payments).

I don’t know how you could do with withdrawals anyway… :thinking: