Premium: Airport Lounges

Eh, if you go look at the cards they’re pretty good overall.

On top of that you get the world class service that you’d expect

1 Like

Yeah I know. I have an AMEX myself. :rofl:

Was flagged for off-topic, which is fair. My point was Amex has a far superior offering to Revolut though should you be eligible

Pair Amex + HSBC and you’re basically good to go global if you have money :slight_smile:

1 Like

£140 year with AMEX Gold is hardly free for Lounge Access twice a year. It’s only £30 with Revolut, and a £72 yearly fee. Still cheaper than AMEX, and AMEX have a Representative 57.6% APR variable ! :roll_eyes:

In addition who actually accepts AMEX, I would not categorise AMEX as global (see below)? As for Platinum £575 year PMSL :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

If all you really want is lounge access (UK resident), see below:

Source: moneysavingexpert

1 Like

So you save £38 and get no membership points - worth? I think not lmao

Does the APR matter? Don’t spend what you can’t afford.

Everyone in my town pretty much including some smaller stores now and every one of the companies I need to pay my bills with :slight_smile: meanwhile I’m going to earn points for each £ spent.

Abroad doesn’t matter as much, I can use a card while abroad that’s Visa/MC and just get into the lounge with Amex.

Not a bad shout tbh but 2 a year is probably enough for me, if you need more a year then I’m wondering how you’re not on a Platinum card juicing out those reward points lmao

3 Likes

Note that for Amex Gold the charge for lounge access (beyond the 2 included per year with the Lounge Club card) has gone up from £15 to £20.

1 Like

What’s the relevance of an APR to people who diligently pay their bill in full every month? Anyone who pays interest on a credit card, instead of using it as a charge card, is a fool.

Acceptance of Amex is much greater than is believed by those who don’t use it. For all major costs of travelling, e.g. flights, accommodation, car hire, petrol stations etc, it is extremely rare that a merchant doesn’t accept it. Many restaurants accept it too.

1 Like

Yes, it was £450 until 10th June 2019 (or 1st August 2019 for existing customers). American Express Platinum in the UK comes with two Priority Pass cards, each of which gives lounge access at no additional charge for two people. So a family of four can enter at no marginal cost. Together with all the other benefits, such as travel insurance and hotel elite statuses (particularly Hilton), it’s not a bad deal at all.

1 Like

Would be nice if it came with Uber credits and not Maddison lee though ;(

Or even just indiscriminate taxi credit when you purchase from a taxi

They could do with removal of FX fees too

I totally agree. I’ve missed out on 2 months of £10 credit so far, because Addison Lee was more expensive than Uber, even after the £10 discount, and Addison Lee had no availability anyway. It’s a useless benefit.

It would also increase the card usefulness to anyone outside of Addison Lee range, which is literally anyone outside London lmao

1 Like

According to the Addison Lee app, the serve the following cities in the UK:

• London
  • Manchester
  • Chester
  • Edinburgh
  • Birmingham
  • Cardiff
  • Bradford
  • Cambridge
  • Bristol
  • Glasgow
  • Leicester
  • Liverpool
  • Milton Keynes
  • Newcastle
  • Nottingham
  • Peterborough
  • Portsmouth
  • Stoke-on-Trent
  • Swansea

So along way from “only London”.

1 Like

My apologies, London and Greater London, the only worthwhile Scottish cities, a single welsh city, some South Western ones and Birmingham so the midlands don’t feel left out as well as a few northern cities so they can say they don’t neglect the.

When we look at all over the UK, it’s literally basically just London with a super-massive populatio being covered. Uber however operates in a much larger area to my knowledge.

Also means we can use the credits for food :slight_smile:

I travel frequently around the globe and from experience I can say that AMEX is not widely accepted, especially by small businesses :roll_eyes:

Suspect this is due to higher ‘swipe fees’ as a result of running a different business operating model to Mastercard, Visa. With AMEX ‘sf’, 2.5% to 3.5%, compared to Visa, Mastercard 1.5% to 2.5% !

The term “swipe fee” originates from the US, where the archaic swiping of a payment card is still standard practice. The percentages you quote are likewise from the US, particularly with respect to Visa and MasterCard.

Rather off topic, however my understanding of swipe fees is this is a generic term, referring to days gone by when cards where swiped, and referring to the costs paid by the businesses to the card-issuing banks and credit card companies for processing said credit card and debit card transactions.

Believe me, uber credits comes and go :joy: :joy: :joy:

That is crazy that it would cost you more to use your Revolut card. Did this ever get sorted that the price is the same as buying at the lounge?

Revolut have dropped the price to €24, its €25 to buy at Dublin Airport online…

Don’t be exciting. This price was from July to any lounge but the thing is that they charge only £15 to UK customers meaning 16.9 in euros