Possibility to choose which account to pay from, put the control in my hands

I also realised just now that even my card limit is set to my basic account’s currency. I’m not pleased as most of my spendings are in Euros or in USD (reminder I top up in Euros constantly). To be honest, I don’t wish to calculate constantly how much my Euro/USD spending would be in another currency.

@Revolut would it be possible to let us decide which account to be our main account? That would definitely help us to enjoy Revolut’s benefits without any hassle.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hm, since limits, prices, contractual agreements all go back to a user’s base currency / county of residency and are different, this seems to be a legal / regulatory issue. I wouldn’t expect them to change that. That doesn’t mean that spending limits couldn’t be set in other currencies, though.

are there any limits on this? can I setup the vault, move all base currency, close the vault and withdraw all, rinse and repeat any time I need it?

well yes … i just don’t know how much time does it need to take effect after the vault/de-vault request … in any case, very inconvenient, but until we get the real thing (soon hopefully) we’ll have to live with this!

@Frank can you please explain me how to set limits in other currencies? For me only my basic currency is visible. Thanks.

Sorry for the confusion. I wasn’t suggesting that it’s possible right now, I was suggesting that limits in other currencies, like you were saying, could be implemented independently from the ability to change the base currency. That would have probably less regulatory and legal implications. The app would simply display limits in a different currency.

1 Like

That would be really nice… Let’s hope Revolut will listen to our wishes… Thanks.

Well, just today I’ve hit a very unpleasant “feature” related to this.

I needed to make a HomeAway payment of 570 € and I have both EUR and CZK accounts at my bank. I topped up 470€ from my EUR account (the remaining balance) and topped up 2800 CZK from my CZK account (which is about 100€).

Then I continued to make the 570 € payment with the Revolut card. For stupid reasons, HomeAway split the payment into two parts: 300€ and 270€. The 270 charge succeeded, but the 300 failed due to “insufficient funds”.

Somehow ridiculously, Revolut doesn’t seem to support mixing “input” currencies when making payments. To add insult to injury, HomeAway hasn’t reversed the 270€ payment and this amount is now blocked on my Revolut card.

This is as it’s designed. If no single currency balance holds the amount required, the transaction is rejected. If you want to pay 570€ you need to have that amount on your Euro balance or the equivalent in another currency.

1 Like

Why is it not possible to convert other currency to Eur on the fly?

You should solely blame it on the HomeAway in this case … splitting payments, why, wtf?

any currency paid can be converted on the fly but it has to be funded by ONE currency in :r: only

1 Like

But it sucks. My Raiffeisenbank multicurrency account (+card) can fund payments from multiple currencies.

The funds are debited in this order:

1. Currency matching the transaction currency
  2. Main account currency
  3. Other currencies

I know that I’m asking why? Is it a technical limitation which not very likely or just no one thought about it.

it’s a design decision as it simplifies the process

Simplify what exactly? I can auto exchange currency at a certain level but it cannot out convert to pay for something?

1 Like

Auto-exchange is a 1:1 transaction.

Simplifying as in: 1 transaction only results in 1 entry in 1 fund currency.
Which is also easier for the customer support to reenact.

From a programming point of view, it is easier to go through the accounts looking for one balance that is big enough for the requested amount
as opposed to draining balances one by one (worst case being 24 different currencies) and constantly recalculation due to live exchange rates.

Easier does not equal impossible.

1 Like

It’s an edge case i wouldn’t bother with, in all honesty.

Exactly! Instead of being butthurt in the wrong topic, open your own, because it’s a different issue, well, not an issue in many people’s eyes, just an itchy person’s itch …

… so, any news on when to expect to be able to set priority order for the accounts? :slight_smile: