Possibility to cash out checks via Revolut

Hi guys,

Revolut is awesome :slight_smile:
Do you think it might be possible to create an option to cash out checks via Revolut? Just like it’s done in PayPal USA?

Thanks!

I think you mean that you would like to be able to withdraw from Revolut by cheque, which is different from cashing a cheque.

When I use my US bank’s online banking to make a payee to a third party such as a friend, my bank does not ask me for the payee’s ABA routing transit number and account number, but instead for the payee’s postal address. My bank then sends a cheque in the post to the payee! This is common to most US banks, and that’s how backward banking is in the United States.

I don’t think we should be expecting Revolut to take a backward step and introduce an archaic method of payment that most advanced countries phased out years ago. Revolut needs to move instead to making ACH payments for USD instead of its current SWIFT payments.

1 Like

Actually no, I meant what I wrote, to be able to cash out a cheque via Revolut, meaning I have a cheque and I scan that cheque with the app and then I’m credited in the app with the sum on the cheque.
As I understand there is a possibility with PayPal to scan your cheque and money are credited to your PayPal account.
There seems to be a similar possibility with Barclays in UK: http://www.barclays.co.uk/ways-to-bank/mobile-banking-services/mobile-cheque-imaging/

Unfortunately there are still many firms that issue cheques, for example for dividends, and it would be really nice to have the possibility to cash them within the app.

1 Like

You mean “deposit” a cheque or “pay in” a cheque, not “cash” a cheque, which means to give a cheque to a payee and receive cash in return.

I do agree that Revolut needs to find a way to deposit USD without incurring any fees (bank transfer fees or card fees). Mobile cheque deposit could be a solution to this. A better solution would be for Revolut to set itself up as a payee on the Bill Pay system in the US, which I believe is a database of recognised business payees shared across all US banks.

I find it extraordinary, but unsurprising given my experience of the backward US banking system, that any larger payer in the US would choose to send cheques rather than to use ACH.