Pockets:- hit-or-miss

I have been trying to use Pockets for my regular expenses. The feature seems to be hit or miss type. Out of my 5 pockets, I have problem with 2 pockets often and these 2 pockets cover major portion of the expenses. This results in transaction getting declined. I notice that when the expense amount is changed, the funds are not getting deducted from Pockets.
Anyone else is facing similar issues with Pockets??

4 Likes

I love the concept, would be the ultimate to help me budget but they have quite a few issues.

Why can’t you select any outgoing as a recurring payment? Some of my outgoings don’t flag as recurring so can’t be added to a pocket. When I asked support they said I have to speak to the vendor to get them to change the payment type to recurring.

Some of my pockets seem to be totalling a ridiculous figure I’ve tried deleting and recreating them but it’s like it’s adding some multiple times in a month.

Please can you make improvements to pockets I really want to be able to put all my bills in there and have everything automate and not have to worry.

5 Likes

Yes. The Pockets is one of the best features of Revolut. They can make it a killer feature. I hope Revolut will try to make it available to all and improve it further.

2 Likes

FYI: If you want to use one pocket but you are planing to add payments in different currencies to it… that ain’t work :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Let alone the different currencies. Even when the direct debit amount is changed, the Pocket doesn’t work. :roll_eyes:

Yeah would be cool if I could just add any payment as something that will be pulled from the pocket in future. I have a few repeating payments (with the same amount!) that are not selectable for any of my pockets :-/

4 Likes

I also find it very frustrating that you can’t instruct or teach the app which payments are recurring… Pockets has the potential to be such a killer feature, but there’s little things like this that really hold it back from reaching its potential.

Another issue is that if you have pockets in multiple currencies (e.g. GBP and USD), but you only hold cash in one currecny (e.g. GBP), the pockets for the other currency (e.g. USD) will not get funded on the set funding date because there is no cash available in that currency… Why not just do the exact same thing you do when there are transactions in currencies where there is no available cash and just auto-exchange at the time of execution? At least, give us the option of having Pockets do this for us. Without this, I either have to keep manually topping up my USD account every month just so that the USD Pockets will get funded on the funding date… If I don’t do this, they don’t get funded, which means the recurring payments for them just come out of my GBP account with an auto-exchange. The whole point of Pockets is to automate away all the recurring stuff and let the app manage it, and the lack of the auto-exchange for the funding of Pockets is preventing it from delivering on this.

3 Likes

I have been making my mortgage payments from Revolut for more than a year. The monthly payment amount has been changed recently. But Revolut still doesn’t recognise the new payment as part of the Pockets payment. It is kind of frustrating and unreliable situation with Pockets. Revolut shoud focus more on improving this fantastic feature that helps to set aside the money and stay on budget.

2 Likes

Opening a Pocket:

1. I have to choose a recurring payment!! But why it has to be a recurring payment? For example I made a pocket ‚Vacations‘ and saving money for it. Once I book a flight I cant add the expense paid with my debit card to the pocket! Can you please fix this?

2 recurring payment has to be in CHF!! Why cant it be in any currency? For example I made a recurring transfer to my account in another country but I cant add this to the pocket!

The pockets would be a good idea but it shouldnt be restricted to a currency nor to a recurring payment.

I hope this can get fixed as soon as possible. Or maybe somebody has an answer to it?

Thank you!

3 Likes

Were you able to add Netflix in as recurring payment? My revolut account doesn’t allow me to add any of my transactions to my pocket. I can only add bank transfers to friends in as recurring payments. :man_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

Hi, I’m a fairly new user of pockets. I’ve added two monthly transfers for my rent and a donation, but I cannot seem to select the Google YouTube payment or any other direct debit to be taken from that pocket. I thought I could use a pocket for both regular self-initiated transfers (e.g. rent or sports club fees), direct debits (e.g. electricity/gas/water charges), and regular card payments (e.g. Google services, Netflix, Disney+, etc.) and add them or move them to a different pocket as needed. Or is there a different Revolut feature that offers this?

4 Likes

This! That’s exactly the problem I was facing. It would be nice to be able to link Pockets to specific vendors, rather than to recurring payments.

For example, I’m subscribed to some artists on Patreon. Most of the time the payments from there are recurring. However, when you subscribe to a new creator, or upgrade to a higher tier, you are charged immediately and that’s billed as a non-recurring payment, so it takes funds from the main account, and not the Pocket. That has caused me to lose some money due to currency conversion (just a couple of cents though)

4 Likes

Would be nice if you can chose which payments are reoccurring, currently I have some payments that are but don’t have the option to set these as reoccurring. Meaning I can’t add them to a pocket which is frustrating. :rage:

4 Likes

I have tried Pockets a few days ago, however it looks that it can only work with recurring payments.
I think would be better if it can work with categories
I want to have a pocket for convenience stores, or General or Travel where I add funds to it and when I make payments I want these payments to be taken from that particular pocket regardless if that is a recurring payment or not.
Hope someone will read this

3 Likes

Another issue I’ve had is that it’s expecting to set up a current payment with a regular, identical amount. I need to set money aside in different currencies, and given the exchange fluctuations I cannot have a fixed amount every month. I’d like to set aside a rough sum so that I can budget better with the remaining amount but it seems impossible. It would be wonderful to be able to just literally set aside a certain amount of money every month for different expenses that are not taken from the ‘main pot’, and you can access them for those specific expenses.

2 Likes

It is amazing to see that there is absolutely no further improvements even after a year of this posting. Anyone in Revolut reading this message??

Pockets are great but they need to be more flexible. All of the above suggestions are great and need to be taken on board by the developers. I would like to be able to link any transaction to any pocket. Come on guys, get the finger out and give them poeple whaty the need.

3 Likes