PayPal and Revolut

I know this is not resolving the issue for you anytime soon, but I think you should also officially complain about this. I do not see how IBAN discrimination can be stopped otherwise.

Here’s the deal: no matter in which EU country your bank account is, someone doing business with you has to accept a bank account in any EU country. SEPA, the Single Euro Payments Area took care about this by introducing international bank account numbers (IBAN). If you have an IBAN, you can reach all other IBANs.

Article 9, Regulation (EU) No 260/2012 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 14 March 2012:

Payment accessibility

A payer making a credit transfer to a payee holding a payment account located within the Union shall not specify the Member State in which that payment account is to be located, provided that the payment account is reachable in accordance with Article 3.

A payee accepting a credit transfer or using a direct debit to collect funds from a payer holding a payment account located within the Union shall not specify the Member State in which that payment account is to be located, provided that the payment account is reachable in accordance with Article 3.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A02012R0260-20140131

I’ve talked about this with a lawyer from iZettle, which also do not allow IBANs from countries other than the one the customer’s residency is in. Their point is that this regulation only affects consumer services. T&Cs for iZettle make it clear that the service must not be used outside of business. I do not see how this could be true for a regular personal Paypal account. It might apply for Paypal business accounts.

4 Likes