Pay with Revolut card in China

Hello,
I’m going to China and I wonder if I can pay with my Revolut mastercard in shops, and use ATM (because CNY is not in the currency list). Is there somebody who has experienced Revolut in China ? :slight_smile:

Sure. Check FAQs, What currencies are supported for spending?

Revolut currently supports spending, and ATM withdrawals in over 120 currencies. The current list of supported currencies include:

AED, ALL, AMD, AOA, ARS, AUD, AZN, BAM, BBD, BDT, BGN, BHD, BMD, BND, BOB, BRL, BSD, BWP, BYN, BYR, BZD, CAD, CHF, CLP, CNY, COP, CRC, CVE, CZK, DKK, DOP, DZD, EGP, ETB, EUR, FJD, GBP, GEL, GHS, GIP, GNF, GTQ, HKD, HNL, HRK, HTG, HUF, IDR, ILS, INR, IQD, ISK, JMD, JOD, JPY, KES, KGS, KHR, KRW, KWD, KYD, KZT, LAK, LBP, LKR, MAD, MDL, MGA, MKD, MMK, MNT, MOP, MUR, MVR, MWK, MXN, MYR, MZN, NAD, NGN, NIO, NOK, NPR, NZD, OMR, PAB, PEN, PGK, PHP, PKR, PLN, PYG, QAR, RON, RSD, RUB, RWF, SAR, SBD, SCR, SEK, SGD, SRD, THB, TMT, TND, TOP, TRY, TTD, TWD, TZS, UAH, UGX, USD, UYU, VEF, VND, VUV, WST, XAF, XCD, XOF, XPF, ZAR, ZMW.

More currencies will be added soon.

2 Likes

Thank you very much your answer !! :blush:

1 Like

Hi,

I used revolut to get cash in China last month. ATM withdrawals work on most machines from the state owned major banks!

Cheers

2 Likes

Hi ! Thanks for your answer :slight_smile: According to you, can I go in China with my Revolut Mastercard only to pay everything and be safe ?

Its never a good idea to carry one card only, as a general rule carry some cash and a non-revolut card, as much as Revolut is convenient it is a prepaid card meaning it is not accepted where the pos cannot connect to the internet. You never wanna be stuck without cash especially abroad

so CNY is in the currency list as Frank showed …

A couple of tips here as i’ve just come back from China where used only my Revolut cards.

• While you can withdraw money from ATMs you can be charged extra for that (~1.5% in my case although it might be me hitting the withdrawal limit).
  • I stayed away from ATMs other than Bank of China, ICBC and the likes.
  • Lots of the places like small shops to Carrefour, mall restaurants will reject your non-UnionPay cards so be prepared to burn through your cash quickly.
  • If anything, you will find more often that a place accepts Visa rather than MasterCard (like hospitals).
  • Online payments on Chinese versions of popular services like Airbnb again will not be possible without UnionPay or AliPay. Paypal could not get through somehow too.
  • Dangerous thing is that back home ATMs work in a way that you specify withdrawal, then the card is ejected and only afterwards you can take the money. This is not the case in China. The card is ejected last so beware of your habits as I lost one of my Revolut cards by simply walking away from the ATM after taking the cash :upside_down_face:
  • If you have a Chinese friend you might be able to get some sort of WeChat pay sharing. My friend had no spare shares (up to 5 or so) so we did not explore this anymore.

Generally as a foreigner you will be stuck to cash most of the time with almost everyone else looking at you like a backward caveman by using it.

1 Like

What’s the best way if you don’t want to use cash in China?

What about Unionpay with Revolut?