Overcharge from Revolut on PayPal Transaction

Hello Everyone,

I’ve done an Ebay order from an seller based in Europe. The charge was in Euro and I received the charge in both Paypal and EBAY in EURO. The amount was 201.50 Euro.
Unfortunately the charge seen in my revolut card was 209.78 Euro…actually 8.28 Euro more than the real amount

I tried to contact the revolut help desk but noone responded to me.
I saw a similar topic Payment overcharged due to unecessary conversion rate
but I can tell that my account was in EURO in paypal… so shouldn’t be the same issue.

Who should I contact from Revolut to have a look ? I have Paypal statement showing the correct amount 201.50 Euro as proof

Many thanks in advance for any suggestion

Simone
Simone

1 Like

Hey @reactive :slight_smile:

Did you get a message saying how long would you have to wait for an agent to be with you?
Try typing live agent and see if you get an answer :wink:

Hi, yes its 6 hours. I did at 17:45 and its 19.19 so few hours still…but wouldnt make sense if they come back to me at 23.00 PM my time…as I will loose my slot…

They usually answer earlier than expected, but however, try to leave all the required information for the agent to solve your query, and even say you’ll be unable to answer late in the evening if you feel like, and hopefully he or she will be able to give you a solution without any further interaction :sunny:

Try to provide the proof from PayPal also and you will be able to read any answer in the morning :wink:

Thank Juliopp

I provided all the info in the help chat hoping someone will follow-up.

i dont know how to upload the proof from paypal …but i have it

thanks for the help
Simone

1 Like

You can upload a screenshot with the clip icon in the in-app support chat :wink:

Thanks for the hint

Btw. Noone responded to me in the help chat of the app.

Is this normal?
thanks
Simone

1 Like

Not normal :frowning:
Try typing Resolved and then live agent again (consider it will reset your position in the queue, which should be around 1-2 hours now).

Hi Juliopp

tried as suggested now. Knockng on wood someone will respond. I also provided the paypal invoice with the amount.
Many thanks for your help.
Regards
Simone

1 Like

Great, @reactive :slight_smile:

If you haven’t received an answer within 3 hours, please come back to say so, there are more ways to reach :r: (it’d be nice if you also came back to confirm even if you got one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Hi Juliopp

Barbara from Revolut contacted me and she explained that despite the Invoice was in Euro , PayPal (and also Raynair do that) have charged my card assuming that was issued in UK doing the double conversion Euro to GBP and GBP to EURO. The reason why this is happening is still unclear to me as Paypal shouldn’t have charged me in GPB as no funds where in there but only in EURO in my revoult card…or Revolut should have refused to pay if I was charged initially in GBP ( for no funds)
However I explained that my paypal account is set to Euro as default currency so it’s weird

She explained to me that she can issue a chargeback/refund once my transaction will be in Resolved state ( as it’s in Pending state ) . I need to contact revolut and to complete a form for the refund.
I will keep you updated.
Many thanks for your help
Simone

1 Like

And…for everyone I found this that could help and it’s indeed at the root cause of my issue

Even if you the currency set to EURO as in my case Paypal still charge the invoice based on your card currency ( GPB ).
Setting this to the Invoice currency should charge your Revoul card without any redundant conversion.
I hope this helps.
Simone

Hi there. For future transactions, you can go on the Payments section on PayPal and then select “Pre-Approved Payments” and then select “Funding Sources” and then click on “Conversion Options” next to your card. This will give you the option to select the to select “Bill me in the currency listed on the seller’s invoice”. Then click submit and save. This is not a guaranteed fix but it should prevent PayPal from applying their conversion again.