Optional maestro card

It looks like this https://twitter.com/claudiorevolut/status/971658771947773953
Only available in DE, AT, CH and LI

1 Like

BINDB says that it is maestro :wink:
It would be great ho have it also living in different countries for traveling purposesā€¦

I live in Switzerland, Android app, I got a Mastercard last year, today no choice at all, no Visa no Maestro. Iā€™m not premiumā€¦

Maybe MasterCard+Maestro will be more probable.

While itā€™s technically possible to have multiple apps on one EMV Chip, and some issuers use this method - it doesnā€™t work with magstripe payments, obviously (you can only have one card number on there).

Since many countries in the world still use magstripe for payment cards at the moment, it makes more sense to have seperate cards for frequent travellers (which is a thing Revolut is marketed for), otherwise you donā€™t have the choice which card scheme you can use in many cases.

ā€¦my 0.02EUR on this topic, will chance in 10years or so when magstripe is dead, hopefully

This does not work outside the EEA.

A Visa + Vpay card is more common and could be used in the whole world. Master and Maestro card do have some issues with some terminals(that dont recognize the card)

Iā€™m in The Netherlands as well, and experience the same trouble with my (VISA) Revolut card. It was not accepted in a few stores I tried it.

Revolut is now sending me a new (VISA) card, however, Iā€™m afraid this wonā€™t work in The Netherlands as well.

Iā€™ll keep you postedā€¦

In the Netherlands, the common used cards are Vpay (SNS/ICS) and Maestro(all other banks)

Visa and Mastercard are only accepted in some bigger stores, but for the daily use it will be rejected at many places

Well, thatā€™s not exactly true. They do not offer many benefits compared to Mastercards. But they are far from useless. Since Mastercard is running most Maestro transactions over the same IT infrastructure than Mastercads anyway, they can be used at many places worldwide. Just for fun, check out ATMs in New York City that support Maestro on Mastercardā€˜s website for example.

Vpay is different, through. Thatā€™s indeed limited to Europe.

1 Like

ATMā€™s all around the world accept Maestro Card.
It is paying in shops that doesnā€™t work like we are used in Europe.

Yes, I am not going to defend Maestro here. But you would be surprised what one could do with it. Itā€™s a robust and reliable payment network. In China, India, Brazil, Argentina ā€¦ Mastercard can handle Maestro payments through the Mastercard network.

With the introduction of the relatively new product Debit Mastercard, we will see what role Mestro will play in Mastercardā€˜s card portfolio in the future.

1 Like

Now the Maestro cards are available.

We want Premium Maestro Cards :r: :joy:

No I think its a good idea (at least for the Premium users), to offer a combined Mastercard/Maestro card or Vpay/Visa. This will increase the acceptance of the ā€œpremiumā€ card and be very useful!

Hm. I think the separate card is the best solution. Bad acceptance only affects a relatively small number of customers, and combined Vpay / VISA might affect usability.

The ā€œ2 applicationā€ conundrum for contactless is not solved yet (merchants and card issuers have to figure out an application pre selection standard first). Some banks that issue cards with two applications (Maestro and a national chard scheme for example), only integrate one of them as contactless right now.

In case of Revolut, should it be the one with better acceptance worldwide (Visa)? Or the one that would make the card work in local shops (VPay)? With two separate cards, this is far more reliable.

It should be a combined card. That will work best for everyday use in Europe.

Who likes to use the card somewhere in the bush should take a real credit Card with offline functionality.

At my work, we accept both Visa and Vpay.

The Finance Manager told me that a combined Visa Vpay card will be seen as a Visa card unless the POS Terminal support only V-Pay(In the Netherlands very common).

This means that unlike the Maestro/Mastercard the customer donā€™t need to choose which network he/she wants. The card automatically choose this and do the payment.

I think that it is something Revolut could issue then as it has no problems. The coverage is the world(Visa network) and in Europe where Vpay is used the card could work as well at local shops.
For the customer it means a combined card save space in the wallet of course.

1 Like

Yes, that would be application pre selection by the merchant / POS terminal which was ruled out by EU regulation. But honestly, I donā€™t see another option here. But the problem might not be reliability across Europe, it might affect reliably in the rest of the world.

About a year ago, I was talking to a product manager from a Bank about this. N26ā€™s decision not to issue a combined card came up, they mentioned reliability issues. This product manager also tested Fidorā€™s combined Mastercard / Maestro by himself on many international trips. And he said this was by far the most unreliable card he ever used. His bank also decided against releasing a combined card.

I get the appeal of such a combined card. And maybe the industry figured these issues out in the meantime.

2 Likes

I do agree with that, but maybe there are some differences between Mastercard and Visa about ā€œdualā€ cards, but maybe :r: could tell us more(as they could have a better view on it)

@anon33247966

Since today the Maestro Card is also available for customers living in The Netherlands.

4 Likes

@anon33247966 How about frequent travellers into desired countries (DE, NL) but residing in the country with almost no Maestro availaibility by banks (CZ). Any chance to get Maestro too?

2 Likes

If Revolut does not offer a Maestro card for Czech residents, it is not a problem to have an account kept in EUR and the Maestro card in Fio Bank.

1 Like