Optional maestro card

Contactless only works with one of them. Banks usually associate the NFC antenna with the scheme that has the credit function, though I have a card with dual NFC antennas.

However while one of them is maestro, the other works with public transportation in Lisbon. It also charges to my current account but uses a different NFC cryptography from the one used by bank cards. I think if you were to have the same dual NFC antenna, one Mastercard, the other maestro, the POS terminals would get confused :wink:

2 Likes

Would be nice to have it also in Portugal.
Mastercad is less accepted here.

I’m a UK user, I asked in the chat if I can get a Maestro card, answer was no. I asked if that is sure, because I saw people here using them, the reply was:

“We had Maesto cards available in Germany, but we do not have them available anymore.”

Hmmmm…

I got the same answer, and they were not able to tell me why it is not available anymore. Would anyone from Revolut team give us more details about this? Is there any plan to support maestro in the future?

I live in Germany and I can still see them.

Revolut should give as many options as possible and then we choose which card type to buy.

there is no silver bullet, when you go to Germany you might choose to get a Maestro but then for East Asia you want a Visa, etc.

1 Like

That’s not true. Everywhere that accepts Mastercard also accepts Maestro and Visa in Portugal

Don’t forget Portuguese cards are all dual network Multibanco/Mastercard, Multibanco/Visa or Multibanco/Maestro. When using them in Portugal you are most often using Multibanco. The other international brand is only used abroad.

To sum up, no matter if the card is branded Maestro, Visa or MC, when in Portugal you’re using MB, so acceptance will be exactly the same

The issue with revolut in Portugal is that it doesn’t have Multibanco, so the card being Maestro or something else won’t make a difference

I think I found a workaround, I’ll try now.

As I saw, if you set up your Google address to NL when you add in google pay a mastercard it will make it maestro :smiley:
I’ll try and let you know!

I have only black premium Mastercard which seems to stay as MC…

Who has a classic MC and Android phone:
Go to https://payments.google.com and create a new payment profile with address in NL
Install Google Pay on your phone, from settings set up the default payment profile the NL one.
Add the MC card. According to a post here it should work
Does Revolut Card support Android Pay?

This is very helpful for people living in MV/ Visa areas only and traveling in BeNeLux or Germany which keep on a stoneage card system :man_facepalming:

Can anyone confirm my method, pretty please :smiley: I’m traveling to BeNeLux soon and I don’t like cash and they don’t like 21th century cards :smiley:

Hello all,

I tried the Revolut-card in the Netherlands (Holland) but most of the shops do not want to accept the card.
The only one they normally accept is the Meastro Card.
N26, the German bank has also admitted a Meastro card for the Dutch members/clients.
I think you can expand your market here , the moment you are also delivering the Maestro card.

Hans Minekus

1 Like

As a Revolut member from the Netherlands, I can choose Maestro as well as Visa from the “Order a spare card” menu. You just need to swipe to the left from Visa to Maestro. :wink:

1 Like

Is there any chance we get an answer from someone at Revolut about Maestro cards in Belgium? Seriously, Maestro is a must have in Belgium as most of the local stores refuse VISA/MasterCards. I don’t understand why it is proposed to German and Netherlands customer and not Belgium :sob:

4 Likes

Maybe it is time to redesign the :r: Maestro card.

All info is printed instead of embossed to save space in the wallets.

But I like embossed printing on cards. :scream:

Well the first thing is the Maestro card does not support online payments anymore with the 16 digits number. So technically it is useless. Second for those who use an cardholder that hold up to 6 cards will have only space for 4,5 cards (as the embossed card take 1,5 card in space)

And many Creditcards companies also started to print their cards I only don’t know why

Have you ever been in the Netherlands? Maestro was very useful there. :sweat_smile:

Don’t forget Switzerland, also to some extent a Maestro-Country, especially in rural areas.

Embossing a prepaid/debit card doesn’t sound like a requirement to me, I would opt out if I could to save space.
If you need to take an imprint of a credit card for manual paper processing, this is a requirement. But the emphasis is on Credit. It’s true that a merchant probably could process a prepaid/debit Mastercard/Visa manually as well, but without proper authorisation by phone I’m sure the merchant bears the loss in case no money is available on the card account.
For Maestro I don’t think it’s even allowed to do an offline transaction with imprint. At least here in Switzerland, I have never seen Maestro cards issued with embossed numbers. Usually you not even have the card number printed on them, just some account/IBAN numbers.

I live in The Netherlands…

I mean that the embossing is not necessary! as @OliverCH also mentioned.

I also live in the Netherlands. Do you also experience the issue that the Revolut Maestro card does not work at ATMs of Rabobank, ING and ABN-AMRO? MasterCard and Visa do work at these three banks! Maestro does work at ATMs of SNS (inside HEMA-store).

Your balance would go into the negative. At least that is my guess as it can happen and already did.