Option to manually change App language

Hello !

After updating the app, the app language changed to my phone default language (French).
Apparently the new update brings French language to the app.

I assume that changing my device language will change the app language but I don’t want to change my device settings.

I’m used to see the app in English and since the support is in English describing part of the app causing a problem is simpler if the app is in the same language as the support.

Is there any way to change the language from within the app ? Or do you plan on adding the option ?

Thanks !

16 Likes

At the current moment, it appears that for the purpose of simplicity, the language of the app is tied with the default language of the phone (English = English, French = French, …).

There appears to be no setting to manually override this.

It is an interesting feature request, however.

As Revolut expands throughout the the world, into markets with multilingual speakers (e.g. US, with English and Spanish.), such a setting will be very useful.

@anon33247966

3 Likes

I see, thank you for your answer.

Would you like me to make a topic in the “Idea” section of the forum maybe ?

I think it’s possible to manually change it for this post.

Click the pencil icon to edit it, and then in the dropdown menu next to the title, you can manually switch it to Ideas.

Done :slight_smile: thanks a lot again!

1 Like

No problem, it’s a great feature request.

2 Likes

Yup at the moment you can only change app language by changing the phone language!

Why would you like to change only the app language and keep the rest device in English?

2 Likes

I can think of many different reasons why one would want to keep one language in the phone and another in the app, why even answer a legit question with a question?

This is just the same as the issue with not being able to send money to someone who is not in the address book.

How about stopping asking why and recognize that different people have different needs?

Seems like an innocent question.

I do agree with implementing a toggle option to change your language from the device’s language, but at the same time, it’s useful to gain some insight into customers’ various use cases for a particular feature request, which is why asking @loitho why s/he would like such a feature is useful.

In addition, it’s a matter of resource allocation. Companies have finite resources (in terms of engineering capacity, and capital.), therefore collecting information (hence asking customers as to why they wish for a particular feature to be implemented.) would be useful in the effort to prioritise feature development.

No need for such a harsh tone.

I just get apple vibes; do it our way and dont question.

The tone is a bit harsh because previous discussion about having to give app access to phones phonebook was met with silence.

It’s bothering when people come up with requests and all they get back is “why would you want that”

I do understand this and I didn’t mean to upset you. However, we need the reasoning behind this.

I was not the originator but will give an example;

A user from country x lives in country y and wants the phone to be in the local language but still wants revolut in his native tongue.

I don’t want to come trough as harsh, i just think flexibility is a good thing!

The best thing revolut could do is probably have a textfile the community users could translate - in a very short time this app could be multilingual.

This summer i tried to help a work mate install revolut on his iphone but he could not register - turned out his phone operating language was set to greek…

1 Like

Hi Andreas,

This is definitely a low-priority thing, but it is indeed justified. Ample of real reasons to be able to switch the language- especially when you used the English version for the last year or so :slight_smile:

If you make the language dependent on the system language, then it should be fairly easy to change the dependency to in-app variable? I may be wrong, of course.

Being able to generate a statement / transaction proof in English gives me that extra peace of mind when travelling; never know who and when you’ll need to convince you actually paid for something. That’s a lot harder when showing Polish language to someone :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Michal

2 Likes

Thank you @Swede & @revofan for your feedback.

I will share this with team for internal discussion.

2 Likes

Hey, sorry I couldn’t reply earlier, I agree with my colleagues above :slight_smile:

• my phone is in French because I’m in France but I like having my apps in English.
    English is your support language, it’s simpler for me to point the part in the app that causes me trouble if the app is already in English.

English is international, if I need to emit a statement, little to no bank will annoy me if it’s in English, even my French bank. The other way around isn’t true at all. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would love to change my app to English !

I find the French translation and moreover integration horrible.
On my iphone se, most sentences are too long to be seen completely
See below screenshot, how in the world as a user are you supposed to know what’s going on here oO…
I found myself mistakenly buying a virtual card because of the bad app translation integration…luckily got refunded by support though…

Just to add to this.

My wife is half Dutch and half Spanish, lives in Ireland.

She has her phone set to Spanish language as she is learning Spanish but since the update the Revolut app is in French and she cannot change it. That is crazy.

Apps should always have a language option.

People have numerous reasons to have phones in multiple languages such as background, work phones, learning languages etc.

1 Like

@anon33247966

It will be a little more complex to handle many language files/resources but if you want more customers, offering the app in their language is a good advantage.

Look at this as an invetment in the future that will cost you about nothing.

I’d be glad to translate the interface into Bulgarian :slight_smile: (not supported at present)

I doubt it would be complicated or need several files, look at how many software on the pc are made with a single file the users can edit and send in to make a program translated to different languages.

I’m guessing this would be rather easy within an app aswell, but i’m in no way a programmer so Ios/android development software might poke sticks in the wheels?

Hello,

My phone is in Italian and the app is in French but I don’t speak french. How can I change language?

Thanks