Option to disable GBP transactions to block dynamic currency conversion

I guess there might be a misunderstanding because this thread (including me) insists on a GBP-block: However, new cards issued now seem to be issued with EUR as its main currency?!

Not even knowing if the latter is true, it has to be emphasised that we’re not after a GBP-switch because it’s GBP, but we’re after a switch to disallow all transactions in the card’s issuing currency, because that would implicitly preclude DCC-transactions, which otherwise cannot be explicitly blocked.

The actual implementation would be rather easy:

• A relevant Revolut representative would just have to actually understand what the aim is here, write some specifications and get a go-ahead for implementation
  • This can then be advertised as “no more DCC-ripoff” - ideal just now while the holiday-season is still ongoing

But I guess the main problem remains: No relevant Revolut emloyee is even reading this, so further discussion will probably happen in vain.

@chr76 - there is no way for a merchant’s bank to identify the currency of the card, only the country, which is based on IIN/BIN (first 6 digits of the card number). The first Revolut cards have a IIN/BIN of 5391 23, which indicates that the country of issue is the UK. Do the latest Revolut cards have a different IIN/BIN?

I’m not sure if it’s relevant, or if something changed with the newer Revolut (not premium) cards, but I have used the card in:

• Switzerland (CHF)
  • France (EUR)
  • Poland (PLN)

And I have never been asked yet to choose the currency. It’s always (so far) the local currency that the POS shows the amount, and the card is charged in.

5352 … card ordered on July, 27.

@Karol - to look up the country of issue of a card, you need the IIN/BIN, which is 6 digits long. You have given only the first 4 digits. I find that the most reliable database is www.binchecker.org.

A friend of mine was issued “⁠⁠⁠5352 98…”

Seems like it’s from Romania, which might also be a DCC-remedy: I guess amounts might not be DCC’d into RON.

However, the RON isn’t the most unstable currency in the world, DCC’ers might add that currency to their arsenal. Also, it would remain a guessing-game per payment/terminal.

For this card I’d love to see a RON-blocker, which would not only block DCC but also all doubts.

Last-but-not-least I’d like to change my card into one of those with the next expiry. Will ask the chat if that will happen automatically, or if I’ll have to do anything.

Apple Pay support

I think we need a function to block all currencies except a chosen currency (e.g. the local currency) rather than blocking just one currency.

@NFH
5352 98… (Romania)

So @Revolut found the solution, while we discussed possible options here. It’s a pity, nobody would even mention these changes here on the forum, while we (the community) are trying to suggest some solutions and advise (great suggestions @NFH and the others)

If Revolut doesn’t appreciate the community enough to provide us with some updates/work plans/comments on the forum they setup themselves I don’t see the point to be involved in their product development and customer support they should be doing themselves.
I have my own life and a job :slight_smile:

Dear @Revolut!

• You have a great product.
  • If you don’t treat the community well by at least keeping us informed, you will not have product evangelists and free support from your community in return - simple like that.

Rev.me / money request without account not available

Since the EUR-IBAN-disaster I stopped recommending Revolut to anyone.

I am indirectly blamed by friends who had a hard time recuperating money, while Revolut still advertises this feature in the app as if nothing ever happened.

I acknowledge it’s not Revolut’s fault, but the handling and communication of issues give the impression as if everything was a bit experimental.

Asking people to have their salaries transferred into an account which might not work out, employee has to answer silly questions by superior or HR…

It’s a pitty that there is just no professional PR-handling, customers can’t know where they stand. :confused:

I´m still impressed by the product, but I can’t recommend something to friends who don’t like to actively try things out; so I won’t.

One of the most reliable BIN/IIN checkers, www.binchecker.org, now shows that 535298 is issued in the United Kingdom, whereas it previously showed Romania. Therefore it appears that Revolut is using a UK BIN/IIN that was previously used by a Romanian card issuer.

So we still need a solution to this problem. Therefore @AndreasK, can you give Revolut’s response to this idea please?

I can forward this to the right team, let’s see what we can do.

We’re currently looking into it, and try to come up with a solution. We agree, it would be a great if our users were able to block DCC.

Thanks @AndreasK. I’m glad you agree. It would also save Revolut’s costs through reduced admin of doing chargebacks.

Yes! Also it would likely give revolut a lot of attention from people, free advertising - word of mouth is the best advertising after all and there are a lot of frustrated people out there who would like a feature like a DCC lock. Who hasn’t at some point been tricked by DCC i mean?

I can add my bad DCC experience also. I traveled Poland, paid for hotel. Used contactless Revolut card. It asked me for PIN - showing amount in PLN. After I entered pin - I got app notification, I was charged in GBP. No questions were asked by staff about if I want to use DCC.

I vote for this “disabled some currencies” option, I hope Revolut team will find great solution for us all :wink:

@CaptAm - Just to clarify, the later option I proposed was to disable all currencies except one chosen currency, which will usually be the currency of the country in which you are transacting. This has a secondary advantage of preventing fraudulent transactions in any previous country you visited.

@NFH, I do understand. Yet sometimes I might need to have enabled several currencies, like local currency in country I’m traveling, next destination hotel booking and USD, if I’m buying something from Ali and awaiting payment authorisation. But I’ll keep GBP locked-out to avoid DCC. So there are possible multiple scenarios, even “automatic currency switcher”, depending on my location, to always keep local currency.
I hope we soon get some feedback from @AndreasK :wink:

I like this option! Only enable payments with the currency of the country you are in.

I hope Revolut’s team is looking on to this, it would help us travelers!

Generally it would be good to be able to disable certainly currencies (or currency accounts), not only for fraudulent dynamic conversion.

It is true that dynamic conversion is a real problem in some places not-so-subject to regulation/oversight, in some places you can’t know for sure which currency is being debited, or equally bad, you are only advised afterwards on the receipt…). Just like in some places, you’re advised of additional local ATM fees at the end of the transaction (when you can no longer cancel), BIDV in Vietnam comes to mind. There was even one ATM (can’t remember which bank now) that advised of a charge asking whether you wanted to proceed or not, and when you say ‘No’ continued anyway. I digress, but some places have little respect for decent practices, and it would be great if Revolut could help people arm themselves against dodgy practices.

What would also be awesome is to be able to set a limit in each currency (I know you can set an overall monthly limit for your card in your base currency, but sub-limits at the currency level would be even better).

The last thing that would be useful is to be able to define a preference list for the currencies to be used for payment, should the payment currency have insufficient balance. Currently the base currency is always used first, which in my case is not what I would ever want as I never fund my account in my base currency (and Revolut won’t let me change it).

Currencies can already be disabled. The only currency that can’t be disabled is a customer’s base currency.

I like the idea of currency related limits and the preference list. But my concern would be that Revolut is already a complicated product for a lot of people. Users struggle with relatively simple things like which rate they get, if they need to exchange before spending, which bank details to use to top-up in a certain currency … these are not easy things to figure out for UX designers.

Indeed, I didn’t know this feature existed, that’s great, thanks!

Just a pity you can’t deactivate the base currency otherwise it would be perfect. I don’t see why they couldn’t let you deactivate the base currency, they could just check that at least one currency remains active, whatever that currency is. Or alternatively, link through to the freeze card or similar screen once you try to deactivate your last currency.

Yes, you might be right, too much complexity may also create more problems for some.