Option to disable GBP transactions to block dynamic currency conversion

You have right, I was not explain correctly, but the card sometime work in pounds and other in euros depending if you are operating an ATM or you are shopping with it.

Really the charge at ATM was in pounds instead euros, however when I bought in shops, restaurants and others, these was in euros. Here the screenshots I posted in other threads for better understanding.

If you can see in both, At ATM image say 53.31 at final charge was 56,35. These are pounds not euros. We can see that Revolut apply a second exchange with no charge on it.

The issue with DCC also happen in euros. In shops, restaurants and other, DCC was applied too without advice me.

At receipts on Revolut app we can see:

We can see the operation was in pounds. It have arround 3 pounds of charge with no notification during withdrawal operation at ATM.

So the DCC must be an option at Revolut app to decline it by default.

The first 6 numbers of the card are 527346

Your Revolut cardā€™s BIN shows it being issued in France (by Revolut). I suspect that the reason for a variation between GBP and EUR is that some merchants (or their terminal provider) use an old BIN database, which might show this BIN as being issued in the UK, whereas a merchant using an up-to-date BIN database would see your card as being issued in France. Either way, it is a disingenuous practice by merchants, which should hopefully cease with effect from tomorrow, given that your card is a prepaid MasterCard.

2 Likes

To make this even more confusing: technically, all Revolut cards are UK issued (since they are issued by a UK Ltd.

What Revolut does is using account ranges to ā€œlocalizeā€ cards, to allocate them to different regions. With up do date data, merchants and ATMs then would recognize such cards as local cards.

(Which is, ironically, not always the best. In Germany for example, some ATMs might charge ā€œlocalā€ Mastercards from competing banks, while withdrawing with a foreign Mastercard would be free.)

3 Likes

Another article on MasterCardā€™s ban, this time by the UKā€™s most highly-respected travel journalist:

However, Iā€™m not sure that the following paragraph is accurate:

Mastercard already bans the technique from contactless transactions, saying DCC ā€œis not consistent with the appeal of contactless as a fast and easy way to payā€.

Iā€™ve seen a contactless transaction via Revolut in Spain suffer from DCC, where it was above the amount for which a PIN is required to be entered (but still contactless, not chip & PIN).

Yes, the the paragraph isnā€™t completely accurate.
As soon as a PIN has to be entered DCC is also possible on contactless payments.

Actually, Iā€™ve read Mastercardā€™s rules for acquirers and it does explicitly mention that there is to be no DCC offered when a payment is contactless, as it defeats the entire point of contactless being quick and speedy.

It doesnā€™t mention at all about ā€˜once you enter a pin this is null and voidā€™.

1 Like

I even had a case in France, in a Decathlon, paying around ā‚¬80, that contactless was rejected where chip and pin worked. Both with the same Revolut MasterCard. UK issued end 2017. I was asked for DCC, which I could reject as it should be.

According to wikipedia contactless limit in France is 30euro. If you tried to pay 80, understandably any card will be rejected or I dont understand something?

The limit for unauthenticated contactless (i.e. physical card with no PIN or fingerprint) is ā‚¬30. There is generally no limit for authenticated contactless using a PIN or fingerprint.

1 Like

There are two possible outcomes:

In the UK for example, the terminal will most likely ask to do a chip + PIN transaction instead.

In Germany on the other hand, the terminal will process the contactless payment but will ask you to authorize it with the PIN. No need to plunge the card.

True. Iā€™ve seen contactless + PIN at only one merchant in the UK, and that was recently at Wahaca. But as Wahaca has issues with Amex contactless, it didnā€™t work and we resorted to doing the transaction using chip & PIN instead.

1 Like

I donā€™t see any reason to reject it, just to authorize it with the pin.

In Switzerland this is the normal procedure. You basically can always just use contactless regardless of the amount due. Up to CHF 40 thatā€™s usually it. If itā€™s above that limit, you just have to enter the pin to complete the transaction.

I donā€™t see any reason to reject the transaction and then ask to plug it in to read the chip. This is just an annoyance and costs time.

I agree, but this happens in the UK a lot. Particularly annoying is when a merchant is using old software in their terminal that incorrectly imposes a Ā£30 limit on authenticated contactless (e.g. Apple Pay). Rather than asking for a PIN, the frequent message on the terminal is ā€œInsert cardā€. I then show them my iPhone, and ask ā€œHow do I insert this?ā€. Of course not every Apple Pay card has an underlying physical card.

Iā€™ve used my Revolut MasterCard with an UK BIN (53912321) in Switzerland at a POS to pay my lunch. I intentionally did not use contactless but chip and pin and it still offered me DCC. So either these Revolut cards are not of the type they block from DCC or it was simply ignored by the acquirer.

If I check binlist.net it returns it as Scheme Mastercard, type debit, prepaid yes, Brand standard prepaid, country UK.

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing that this is the case and that MasterCardā€™s new rule will be ineffective in many cases. MasterCard already has another rule, which is that DCC cannot be offered after authentication, yet many merchants, particularly in Spain, are given the ability to do this by their acquirers.

At least this is, up till now, always followed in Switzerland.

Iā€™ll test in the next days at terminals of another acquirer and will report if itā€™s different.

1 Like

This has happened to me, though itā€™s much less likely than with non-contactless. For truly contactless (no PIN needed) Iā€™ve never been DCCā€™d. Same with Apple Pay (and Apple Pay doesnā€™t suffer the low limit problem), which is another reason why Iā€™m so keen for :r: to support it.

Another question is whether MasterCardā€™s recent ban on DCC on prepaid cards applies also to ATMs, which is a particular problem in countries such as Greece. MasterCardā€™s latest DCC compliance guide is dated 20th February 2017, predating the ban by two years, so it doesnā€™t make any reference to prepaid cards.

I have always thought that the contact-less non-PIN amount is defined by the bank and not the POS softwareā€¦

1 Like

Which bank are you referring to? The merchantā€™s acquirer (which is often not a bank) or the card issuer (which is often not a bank)?