Option to disable GBP transactions to block dynamic currency conversion

This is the total opposite of my experiences in Poland.
I have been to Warsaw and Krakow and everywhere I was given the choice to decline DCC.
From taxis to shops and restaurants, even ATMs (avoided Euronet). Only in some smaller shops the merchants were confused about the DCC prompt but that could be resolved quickly.

With contactless? Contactless seems to be the issue here.

Just say you spoke to them but didn’t speak the language well enough to resolve it with them, or that they weren’t knowledgeable about how to refund it.

Just say that it was consented to after they took the card machine? Revolut is clever enough to know that this kind of thing happens.

Don’t Gibraltar use some weird currency that is pegged at GBP level?

Gibraltar uses GBP, the same as the UK. But their banknotes are different (as in Scotland, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man). Gibraltar’s banknotes are represented in the wholesale banknote trading markets as GIP, but Gibraltar’s currency is GBP. GBP and GIP are not pegged, but the same currency, just different physical representations of it. Some ATMs in Gibraltar offer a choice of GBP and GIP, and some banks in the UK accept deposits of GIP, particularly if they have a branch in Gibraltar.

1 Like

DCC is offered much more often if case of chip and PIN transaction than in case of contactless

Yes, even with contactless + PIN

So basically this means, never return the pin pad before the transaction is completed and it starts printing the slip. This is the only possibility to avoid the merchant interfering with the transaction and answering the DCC prompts.

7 Likes

You get a push notification when you pay something. You should see it right away if something strange happens.

I learned my lesson! Just after this incident, I enabled push notifications.

1 Like

Until Revolut finally implement an option to block GBP, would it not be possible to get around the problem of these unscrupulous waiters if having entered your PIN, you keep hold of the terminal after the message appears instructing you to return it, press the green button again if necessary, and then you can make sure that you select EUR for any DCC option that appears before handing the terminal back?

2 Likes

Not always. In some cases, as reported above in Poland, the amount is converted to GBP without any option having been selected to do so during the transaction process, either by the card holder or by the merchant.

On a recent trip to Madrid (where DCC is rife) I found contactless the easiest way of avoiding DCC. Most contactless terminals offer DCC after tapping the card, but it was easy to just hit the (red couloured) EUR icon on the display. For larger transactions over €30 I just used Apple Pay, linked to a 0% commission Visa card. Interestingly the incidence of DCC prompts was less using Apple Pay.

The benefit of contactless over entering the PIN is that it gives the merchant less opportunity to intervene in the transaction as the DCC prompt is almost immediate after the card or iPhone is tapped on the terminal and it just a case of quickly pressing the EUR key.

The one time I did use the PIN was on a transaction for €100, and this is what happened. I entered the PIN to approve the €100 shown on the display, the terminal then both displayed and printed the DCC “offer” at which point the merchant went to hit F4 - GBP, I quickly blocked his hand by putting my hand over the terminal and said in Spanish that I did not want to pay in GBP. He then got irate and said he would get more bank charges if it went through in EUR. I said this was nonsense and that the currency of Spain is not GBP. The merchant then demanded €2 in cash to allow the transaction to go through in EUR. As my hand was nearer the F1 key than his, I quickly hit F1 and the transaction finally went through in EUR. Sure he was pissed off, but so was I, big time. These people know full well that DCC is a money making scam.

9 Likes

That is outrageous! Thanks @MattW93 for sharing your story and well done for handling it so well. I’m delighted to hear that you stood your ground against a disingenuous merchant who understood DCC very well and tried to force it upon you.

1 Like

Having this issue also in Brazil with the only merchant that works, Celo.

I’ve just got back from three weeks in Brazil and I didn’t have any problems with DCC. It was rarely offered, and on the occasions that it was, there was no problem selecting BRL. Can you please explain what happened?

I think it is generally not allowed to block certain conversions and / or DCC after the transaction is authorized. The Seller has an “guarantee” that the payment goes through. If you could cancel it somehow after authorization no one would accept cards anymore, because of the high risk.

Isn’t it illegal to charge for card transactions within the EEA? I know it is in the UK but I thought this was EU Directive material, meaning it should be enforced in Spain too.

1 Like

@Recchan, you’re absolutely correct. The legislation is Article 62(2) of the Directive (EU) 2015/2366 on payment services in the internal market (PSD2). Directives are not law, and are enacted into each member state’s national law, for example in the United Kingdom under Regulation 6A(1) of the Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012. The legislation took effect from 13th January 2018.

Isn’t an authorisation valid only for the specified amount? Otherwise a merchant could request an authorisation for €0.10 and then charge €10,000.

Before anyone gives the example of TfL, which requests an authorisation for £0.10 at the beginning of the journey and subsequently charges a lot more at the end of the day, I believe that in this case, TfL’s authorisation is just to check that the card is valid, not that it is capable of being charged the total amount that might accrue by the end of the day.

I’m not sure. In the USA you get an amount charged but a few days later you get another charge with an higher amount because the tip (base bill plus tip) gets handled differently. Not sure if that is related, though.

Didn’t another user here wrote something like “I authorized an amount in currency x in the pos terminal but later I saw that I got charged in currency y.”?

Maybe it also depends on the kind of authorization. Chip and PIN, contactless or magnetic.

I saw a nice advise for avoiding DCC - try to use contactless. If you do that, you usually see the terminal an can select the currency yourself. At least that’s what I heard so far.