Option to disable GBP transactions to block dynamic currency conversion

That’s right, but it dramatically improves the card for daily usage in ones home country when DCC is very common there. It also makes the cards compatible with iTunes and other vendors with similar restrictions.

Maybe I am mixing something up…? :thinking:

7 not in ERM II, but obliged to join the eurozone on meeting convergence criteria (Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, and Sweden).

I don’t know what you are mixing up, but none of the countries you listed (except Slovakia) are in the Eurozone. The Eurozone uses the euro as its currency.

Yeah, I think I mixed Eurozone with EU up. Sorry.

At least Eurozone customers can safely pay in their countries, safely travel around Eurozone and add their Revolut cards to websites which accept only country issued cards. Obviously the DCC issue has not been solved (waiting for Mastercard to shut it down) but this is a great improvement :slight_smile:

Only with the GB code VISA. With the MC (spanish code) al last for now, din’t happen.

From my experience in Poland in

20% of payments I am charged in Polish Zloty

30% of payments I am given option to chose if I want to be charged in PLN or in GBP

50% of payments I am charged in GBP without my consent.

Last time I ordered waiter to revers the payment when after printing the recipe I find out I was charged in GBP. I contacted Revolut and they within a day returned money to my account.

Since than I stopped using my card in Poland.

I’m totally pissed off on DSS.

I notice that I never have DCC in Poland when I use a GBP card with Apple Pay, so that’s another benefit of Revolut supporting Apple Pay.

Contactless payments without requiring PIN input also gets round the problem but the 50PLN limit makes it less useful; with Apple Pay there is no limit.

Restaurants definitely seem to be the worst places for the problem you describe.

Indeed, in all countries where DCC is rife, which is facilitated by hand-held terminals, as the waiter can take the card terminal away from you after authorisation, so that you don’t see what’s going on.

Regarding Poland - maybe we need to print A4 sheet with large text saying (in polish) - I WANT TO PAY IN LOCAL CURRENCY PLN ! DONT TRY TO SCAM ME!

and carry that around in Poland and always present it to salesman before every card transaction.

:laughing:

Hope there is somebody who can translate that text properly in polish (without cursing). My polish knowledge is limited just be 1 word, which starts with kur… :joy:

You can say: “Chciałbym zapłacić w złotych” or (more simply) as the CCY selection comes up just say “złotówki, prosze”.

Best to leave out the “Don’t try to scam me” part! Seriously, often the serving staff are just students and young people who have no real interest in DCC or scamming people. They’re just unaware of the issue and may even believe that tourists would prefer to pay in their own currency.

I agree that it would be useful to have some standard text translated into languages of countries where DCC is common. It could say something like:

Dynamic currency conversion is a disingenuous practice whereby merchants’ card terminals convert the transaction amount into a foreign currency, often misidentifying the customer’s home currency, with a substantial markup for the benefit of the merchant and the card terminal provider. Please avoid dynamic currency conversion on this transaction and ensure that you charge me in your own local currency.

Rather than printed on A4, it could be displayed on a smartphone in large legible text (a bit like Google Translate on its side but not actually using Google Translate).

I live in Poland so it is easy for me to tell them (every time) that I want to pay in PLN :slight_smile:
But even though (because of terminal settings) I was charged in GBP twice.
Both times I forced them to cancel operation. In first shop it was easy for them to do that, in the the second they had to call to terminal provider :slight_smile:
More such claims from us means highehr probability of change ther behaviour (and terminal’s setting) :slight_smile:

I agree. Always kick up a big stink whenever DCC happens against your will. If it’s in a restaurant, speak loudly so that other customers can overhear. Turn it into a big problem so that the merchant reconsiders this disingenuous practice.

How does this work in case of contactless payments? Or contactless payments is not very popular in Poland yet? And what is contactless payment limit in Poland (without entering PIN) ?

Contactless payment in Poland are very common (99,9% of terminals are able to use it).
Those two payments with DCC which I have described was contactless.
From the other hand- contactless payment (generally) causes that you avoid DCC (especially if you pay less than 50 PLN).

Personally I would just chargeback through Mastercard rather than taking it up with the merchant themselves. It’s quite expensive to handle chargeback claims (typically people get charged 10-20€ per claim) so I’d rather make it not financially viable to charge me in GBP once it gets charged back.

I’m pretty sure DCC w/o consent is grounds for chargeback, isn’t it?

Yes DCC is a valid reason for instituting chargeback, but you have to go through Revolut to start the process.

And Revolut insist on you showing evidence that you have tried to sort it out direct with the retailer/merchant yourself first, before they start the chargeback process.

Which can be difficult to show/prove.

@Recchan, yes, you are of course correct. The issue is often proving that consent was not given, not least as it is often printed on the receipt that the card holder consented to DCC.

My girlfriend experienced this with a restaurant in Spain where a waiter changed the currency after she had entered her Revolut card’s PIN. When we complained to the management, they pointed to the text on the receipt that said she had consented. When we explained that it was their waiter who had consented, the management said that they did not know how to reverse the incorrect transaction, so I suggested that they refund in GBP cash. When they said they didn’t have any GBP cash, I suggested that they go to Gibraltar (walking distance) and get some. My suggestion irritated them as much I had intended. Eventually they refunded the GBP transaction and charged it correctly in EUR.

In Poland it happened to me as well. I paid contactless with my Revolut card, it was over 50 PLN so I needed to enter my PIN. On the PIN pad I saw the correct amount in PLN so I entered my PIN and walked away.

Next day while browsing the Revolut app I saw I had a GBP transaction. I looked at the card slip and yes, there was a notice of DCC.

Seems like in Poland DCC approval happens on the merchant side, even if you are using contactless payment.