Option to disable GBP transactions to block dynamic currency conversion

Maybe your card is no longer issued in UK.
Looks like latest Mastercard cards sent in Italy are issued in Italy, but Revolut didn’t officially confirm this.

From page 26 of the above MasterCard DCC Guide:

Case 2 – Cardholder complaint

Whilst visiting Barcelona, Spain last month, I was having dinner in a restaurant by the port, overlooking the city. When the meal was over, I asked for the bill – informing the waiter that I would be paying by card. When he returned with a portable POS device, I handed him my UK-issued card (Sterling – GBP), which he proceeded to insert into the terminal.

He then passed me the terminal, asking me to enter my PIN. After doing as requested, I gave the terminal back to the waiter, at which point he pressed a few other buttons before presenting me with my copy of the receipt.

To my surprise, I noticed that the amount that had been debited was in Sterling and not Euro. I asked the waiter why this was but, suddenly, he no longer seemed to be able to understand English! When I asked him to reverse the transaction, he informed me that he didn’t know how to do so. I was furious that a) I hadn’t been given the choice and b) that the waiter was then unable to reverse the transaction.

This particular complaint was reported to us by the Cardholder, but is also a typical example of one of the issues we encounter whilst doing our Merchant audits. In this instance, the choice of currency conversion was offered on the terminal, but this was done after the PIN had been entered and the option was not conveyed to the Cardholder. Obviously, this is not the right procedure and is not compliant with the applicable legislation and Mastercard Rules.

The choice of currency conversion should always be offered to the Cardholder before they enter their PIN. The Cardholder’s PIN provides confirmation and approval of the transaction that is about to take place and should therefore always be the last step in the transaction.

It’s still issued in the UK, but Revolut most likely uses “account ranges” now for newly issued cards. (More about the topic account ranges on MasterCard’s website.)

I’m Spanish, and I think it only happens with terminals from “LaCaixa” and “Banc Sabadell” (at least in Barcelona). Never happen with “Santander” or “BBVA”. I also had this problem with the Visa (GB expedited) but the new Mastercard ordered this month, has spanish BIN code.
The two occasions that this happened to me, one in a restaurant and another in a supermarket, is always after the PIN. Both in the restaurant and in the Supermarket, they asked me surprised. In Japan I had the same problem with another card (N26) after ask for the PIN is when the terminal ask for Yen or EUR.

Does this solve the “DCC risk”? In other words, is the card still seen as a GBP card?

Yes, to some extend.

Sorry but your answer is not clear… Are we safe from DCC or the card is still in GBP? :laughing:

No one is ever safe from DCC as long as card network providers allow this. :wink:

DCC often relies on data from 3rd party data providers. Different terminals might recognize the same card differently.

@Frank is correct. It’s very common for different public BIN checkers online to give a different country of issue for the same BIN, usually because they’re out of date. But with all of them, it’s possible only to identify the country of issue, not the account currency. DCC terminals make assumptions, often incorrectly, that the currency is always the currency of the issuing country.

@DeXeD, what is the BIN/IIN (the first 6 digits of the card number) of these cards?

It seems like my cards also match my country when checking with https://binlist.net/. :thinking:

I needed more than 6 digits for a correct identification though.

A reliable test is also the iTunes Store. Newer cards can be added to local iTunes accounts that match the country of the Revolut card billing address.

I find the most reliable BIN/IIN checker is https://www.bindb.com/bin-database.html

I can’t check right now, sorry. I don’t own the card, my Revolut is Visa.

@Frank the card has been added to iTunes, that’s why I said it has an Italian BIN.

Well that site tells me my card is from France. Which makes like no sense at all. :rofl:

Mine says is from spain, with 8 digits, which is correct. No DCC in spain for me since I have this card.

It’s not clear; did you have issues (EUR-GBP choice) with Mastercard too or only with the Visa card?

So it seems that Revolut is using genuinely country-specific IINs/BINs. But this still doesn’t solve the problem of DCC. UK-based Revolut customers will still experience DCC in the Eurozone and elsewhere, as will Eurozone-based Revolut customers who use their cards outside the Eurozone.

Even in the Eurozone - just think about Bulgaria, Switzerland, UK, Hungary, Romania and Czechoslovakia.

The countries you have listed are outside the Eurozone. Except of course for “Czechoslovakia”; the Czech Republic (or Czechia) uses CZK and Slovakia uses EUR.