Option to disable GBP transactions to block dynamic currency conversion

If this happens, you should kick up a big stink. If it’s a restaurant, then don’t be quiet about it. Complain to the waiter that the restaurant is scamming you by charging your card with more than you authorised. The only way to deal with this malpractice is to be vociferous about it, and turn it into a big problem for the restaurant. Insist that they reverse the transaction and charge you correctly, and if they take their time, insist on a free drink while you wait.

And if you’re not from the UK, then also make the point that GBP is nothing to do with you and that your card is denominated in another currency. Ask them why they charged your card in a currency with which you have no connection. Make them feel embarrassed about it.

Hi guys! Let us clarify that this is a new Mastercard mandate for all acquirers. Visa will adopt the same approach for ATMs. :slight_smile:

Understanding the changes and commision

Thanks @AndreasK. This is very good news. What is the solution for preventing DCC at points of sale with Visa cards?

Could you elaborate a little please @andreask. For instance could we get a link to the mastercard mandate? (assuming it’s public) So this will be live for any acquirer to be able to process mastercard? And for anyone who processes visa or mastercard ATM wise?

And will this only extend to cards who’s companies opt into it?

@AndreasK as you’re around today I wonder if you could respond to my above post?

I agree, this is very good news! :slight_smile: Something that we all wanted.

Once I have more info, I will get back to you.

It’s interesting that Caxton gives a date of 12th April 2019 for ending DCC. The following article gives the following day, 13th April 2019, as the date from which cash machines in the United States will be allowed to start using DCC for Visa cards:

I made some mockups of how restricting currencies might work

(Sorry, I meant to reupload images, not delete the entire post)

Excellent mockups, @fluffydog. My only criticism is that, by showing balances next to enabled/disabled currencies, it might mislead users that the function is to enable or disable a currency balance from being used (which actually might be a useful separate function). The functionality should make it clear that it is transaction currency, and not funding currency, that is being enabled or disabled.

Yeah, good point. That’s an important ambiguity to avoid.

Or on the other hand, it might be even better to have two switches for each currency - one for funding currency and the other for transaction currency. Obviously only 25 currencies would have the first switch. Having both functions on the same screen reduces any ambiguity. There are many scenarios where one might wish to protect a particular balance currency from spending.

@AndreasK I don’t suppose you saw my other post in this topic? Would you be able to clarify this MasterCard mandate and how exactly it’s going to be forced onto people accepting MasterCard payments like RyanAir.

I’ve reached out to MasterCard on Twitter and they said they’d get back to me, poked them today and they’ve not responded yet. They said I should be asking you in the meantime while they hunt it from their side :wink:

Is there any public reference you’d be able to point us to, or perhaps you could ask the relevant team and explain it in detail here?

Any news about DCC and the great idea of blocking currencies?

I’m currently in Spain where a lot of merchants have this. The way it works here is the conversion is usually shown after the transaction has been authorized. In the case of a PIN transaction it’s not a problem as you still have your card in the reader. But with a contactless transaction, as it often takes a while to load, the merchant may take the terminal away and press the button to authorise the conversion themselves.

Technically you are supposed to sign the receipt to say you authorise the conversion, but most merchants don’t ask you to. I don’t think there is anything improper going on, just the merchants haven’t been educated on how DCC works.

There is definitely something improper going on. The fact that card terminals allow merchants to change the currency and amount after authorisation is entirely improper. And merchants know that they get a significant share of the increased amount, so of course they will choose the option that gives them more money. It’s a scam, particularly in Spain as you have observed.

MasterCard and visa mandate that it must be shown before the transaction if I recall, purely to stop this kind of scam.

You can claim a chargeback for this too AFAIK.

This sounds right. It’s possible (but someone please correct me) that Spanish terminals allow DCC after authorisation only for contactless transactions, because the point of authorisation is the same point as the point that the card terminal discovers the country of issue, whereas with chip & PIN the country of issue is discovered before the amount is displayed for authorisastion. Contactless makes DCC more difficult, except where a PIN is requested (which happens above the contactless threshold in Spain), as this is a secondary authorisation.

I found a Mastercard guide for DCC compliance:
Page 7 foot notes:

“However, on a Contactless transaction within the Cardholder Verification Method (CVM) limit, DCC is not applicable, as it is not consistent with the appeal of Contactless as a fast and easy way to pay [with exception of contactless with pin because it’s over the pin-free limit]”

Page 8:

“Before the Cardholder decides on the currency in which the transaction
is to be completed, and before an authorization or pre-authorization*
request for the transaction is submitted, it is essential that:
a. The Cardholder is first informed either verbally or via a terminal
that they have the right to choose the currency in which the
transaction will be completed.
b. Each of the following is made clear to the Cardholder:
- Transaction amount in the local currency
- Transaction amount in the billing currency
- Currency conversion rate to be applied should the transaction
be completed in the Cardholder’s billing currency.”

PDF is in google cache
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiyudWpoqzgAhWI2KQKHV0rCGoQFjAAegQIChAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mastercard.com%2Felearning%2Fdcc%2Fdocs%2FDCC%20Guide%2020.02.17%20EN.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3AZ3pOhUacqXBidzRXgzVq

Chargebacks can be claimed for not following the DCC rules.
Chargeback reason 76 for Visa / 4846 for Mastercard

This links to the original at https://www.mastercard.com/elearning/dcc/docs/DCC%20Guide%2020.02.17%20EN.pdf

With my metal isn’t happening to me anymore. (in Spain)

El El vie, 8 feb 2019 a las 13:27, lucaspiller via Revolut Community revolut@discoursemail.com escribió: