Option to disable GBP transactions to block dynamic currency conversion

Sure, that’s an option. However, all(!) ATMs here have been replaced by Euronet, that also do have this behavior since several days. I now need to drive within my city for an ATM that is still free, despite having five Euronet ATMs in walking reach.

But that’s not the answer to DCC in the long rong, either. What is the option if all ATMs start to behave that way? It’s pretty obvious that -if the way Euronet handles foreign card is legal- all other banks will start to do the same in order to fight the different products from the UK and safeguard their market.

Here you can see an example for withdrawing 50 Euros. You either pay 2,95 € for the withdrawal or pay 51,68 GBP (nearly 60 €!).

declinedccdcc

(My last transactions with local cards were free, but I’m not sure if this is still the case today, because AFAIK it’s probably not legal for ATMs in Europe to surcharge a fee from one type of transaction and don’t charge for another. Still, the images show that no fee is separately mentioned when using DCC anyways.)