One virtual card for every website?

Modern password management stipulates that it’s best to use a different password for every website. If one of them gets hacked, or your password is revealed, you just change it.

As credit card information is even more sensitive than passwords - what if I did the same with Revolut’s virtual cards? I would generate one for Amazon, one for Uber, etc., and if I received a suspicious charge with any of them (or if the site was hacked), I’d just delete the virtual card and generate a new one. With Revolut’s ability to label virtual cards, it seems extremely easy - in fact Revolut is similar to a password manager in this sense.

• Is it good practice or am I just paranoid?
  • Would I breach some written or fair use rules by having - let’s say - 50 different virtual cards?

You will not be able to create that many cards in the first place. Second you would need to limit its use to that specific site, not possible as well.

Your concerns would be solved by using tokenisation for online transactions as well, as this would allow a token to only be used by one vendor plus the vendor would not have your real card number.
Second the 3DS with PSD2 roles will also help

Until then, use a virtual card you lock if not in use or upgrade and use the one time card which rotates the number after use.

1 Like

You will not be able to create that many cards in the first place

Why? Is there a hard limit? So far I created 10 cards without any warning.

You would need to limit its use to that specific site, not possible as well

This is a good point, but right now if I see a fraudulent transaction I have to change my (physical) credit card, and update its number on ALL sites, and will never know who misused it. In case of my scenario, I only need to delete one virtual card and all my other can stay. It is true however that I can’t automatically reverse the first fraudulent use.

Thank you for the suggestions about freezing my virtual card when not in use.

1 Like

How? :r:'s help page says you can have only 5 virtual cards.

1 Like

Sorry, you’re absolutely right, I counted disposable cards by mistake.