NatWest starting to charge fees for topping up prepaid cards

I use bank transfer because it’s faster now and I can have it top up on a set time using standing orders, rather than auto top-up which works on money in the account.

Exactly my understanding of it.

It doesn’t :slight_smile:

Load from a debit card and stop being dumb. ez.

It does indeed.

I don’t believe this is true one bit. No banks in the UK charge for withdrawals via debit card. + withdrawals here are insanely cheap, 22.5p per withdrawal under current LINK memes.

To discourage bad money habits. You shouldn’t be able to pay someone on your credit card and get out cash and then avoid the cash advance fee - which is meant to deter you from spending the banks money on things that would indicate bad spending.

It also lowers the risk (i imagine) if they can see where you’re spending for them, as they know you’re using it for your day to day spending and not buying drugs etc.

I don’t think banks should allow it at all tbf, unless it’s a perk of your card (like you lose your card abroad and they send you some cash advance from Western Union branch or partner)

You shouldn’t be able to buy money with someone else’s money.

Curve pass on the merchant code so it will still show as a cash advance or money purchase.

They want to boost use their credit card because they don’t have the money yet, I presume. Either that or they’re going on holiday and want the reliability of credit card money paired with Revolut exchange rates.

1 Like

He’s Not using a debit account. Make a transfer from where?

It’s a CREDIT card. Credit cards are meant for payments only no cash advance at all and you actually use Bank’s money not yours.

My bank allows me to store my own money on credit card account and use it freely without any addition costs, including atm withdrawals (to certain amount). So its not always bank’s money on credit acc. :yum:

Yes, and a lot of UK card issuers don’t charge such fees even for genuine cash withdrawals, but instead charge interest from the date of the withdrawal without the usual interest-free credit period for purchases. If you pay off the withdrawal immediately, then there’s no interest, as they have to apply any payments to the most expensive debt first.

Generally speaking, please be advised that people here mix up credit, charge, debit and prepaid cards all the time…

hihi this method is working for me. We will see how long. All transaction from curve on my credit card statment are appearing as online transations, even atm withdrawals.

That’s probably down to the policy of your credit card issuer. Have you tried using the same credit card to top up Revolut directly without using Curve in-between?

No, due to fees Revolut is taking for top-up 1.84% to be exact.

Revolut doesn’t charge any fees for topping up with an EEA-issued credit card. It had to stop charging such fees from 13th January 2018 as a result of Article 62(4) of Directive (EU) 2015/2366, which is enacted in the UK under Regulation 6A(1) of the Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012.

Except for business cards or?

The cc isn’t EEA issued but it’s Europian one. I live on border, live in EU, work outside EU. …although i travel only around 20km to work. Haha strange I know. :wink:

Yes, commercial cards are exempt from the ban on card surcharges, because they are similarly exempt from the caps on interchange fees under Regulation (EU) 2015/751.

1 Like