I used my Revolut card for the first (and only) time earlier this month. The transaction was conducted in HKD according to my card receipt, however an amount was deducted from my GBP balance instead of my HKD balance. Revolut say that they received the transaction in GBP, yet the merchant says that the transaction they sent was in HKD.
- The charge was 60 HKD. My Revolut HKD balance was 110 HKD.
- When paying, I elected to pay in HKD instead of GBP.
- My card receipt confirms that I declined DCC (“I HAVE CHOSEN NOT TO USE THE MASTERCARD CURRENCY CONVERSION PROCESS…”)
- I checked Revolut, and it showed a pending transaction of -6.07 GBP.
- I initially wondered whether the merchant had applied DCC anyway, which seems to happen fairly often here. (Incidentally, this is the reason I got a Revolut card, but the default currency is unfortunately still GBP.) I did not think that this was possible after PIN authorisation though.
- I contacted Revolut Support to ask them what happened. They requested that I wait until the transaction was no longer pending.
- A few days later, the transaction changed to -5.55 GBP, although the “Spent” amount below it was still £6.07.
- I contacted Revolut Support again, and they said that “the merchants terminal accepted the transaction in GBP”. I also asked about the amount changing from 6.07 to 5.55, and they explained that the merchant authorised 6.07 to begin with, but “the merchant must have changed that before the payment was completed”.
- I contacted the merchant to check what they had charged, and they confirmed that they sent a transaction for 60 HKD. They sent me a scan of the Merchant Copy of the card receipt, which shows 60 HKD.
It seems that Revolut and the merchant aren’t able to agree on what the transaction was. This is quite worrying.
I suppose the next step is to contact MasterCard and see what their records say. I’ll update when I’ve got a response.