My premium card has NOT BEEN POSTED [...] » Arrived

Yeah, n26 and bunq are banks, monese might not have the label or the old ones not have it but they are prepaid:

Your Monese Account is an e-money account held in pounds sterling (referred to as Monese UK Account) or euro currency (referred to as Monese Eurozone Account). If you get a Monese Card (referred to as Monese UK Card or Monese Eurozone Card respectively in case specification is required) that is associated with your Monese Account, the Monese Card will be a prepaid debit card not a credit card, a charge card or debit card.

1 Like

Some banks also don’t use what we nowadays call debit cards, it is more like a credit card that is settled every day. Or credit cards that bring their own card account and that have a credit limit of 0. They are technically credit cards, full offline functionality, but need to be topped up. That is how some internet only banks did it before Mastercard introduced the debit type in Europe, which happened around 2014. But I do see more and more banks switch to properly labeled cards. N26 cards weren’t labeled “correctly”, then they were (debit prepaid), then the issuer changed and they went back to labeling them debit. And they do have limited offline functionality.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t care much how the card is labeled. But I would prefer a different service code configuration for better acceptance, of course.

3 Likes

When I was using Monese (early 2017) they had Visa cards and those cards did not show the prepaid sign on it, so maybe it was a Prepaid debit card but without a prepaid on it.

In my situation it is useful to have a full debit card to use it also in the Train and plane for offline payments. I don’t know if the :r: cards support these payments

Not yet, unfortunately. :frowning:

2 Likes

I’d swear I saw a tweet of some guy who successfully used Revolut in an airplane! not sure how that worked…

1 Like

Well. Technically you can.

But is not accepted!

Is the same. Even on the standard Revolut card you can make offline transactions but is not accepted for security purposes by merchants. Here’s the problem.

If they won’t see “prepaid” on it they’ll think is a credit card.
The POS can’t tell. All are credit cards :slight_smile:

The problem with “prepaid” is online indeed. As some online merchants won’t accept (or their payment gateway) prepaid cards.

But on POS you can pretend is a credit card as long as you can convince the merchant :slight_smile:

1 Like

It really depends on the POS terminals used. With magstripe, offline payments are possible if the merchant accepts it.

Modern POS chip terminals can tell, all Revolut cards are configured with the service code 221 that only allows online authorization, as far as I am aware.

For offline they prefer to use magstripe :smiley:

Or you can make “card-not-present” transactions

Didn’t found yet any POS to tell me Debit/ Credit on chip transactions. All of them are “Credit”.

Just on visa electron I saw debit.

Sure, but most trains or airlines I’ve encountered recently used offline PIN.

I am not sure if a receipt printout is related to the actual authorization used. The reason why the Revolut cards don’t work on toll booths or some vending machines, gas stations, … is that the chip is configured in a way to always ask for online authorization. Only if a merchant willingly accepts offline magstripe or card not present offline transactions, the delayed settlement of course works.

Prepaid and revolut cards don’t allow offline processing because unlike a bank which has more information to find you and collect debts, revolut doesn’t.
If they allowed offline transactions, one could take a plane trip buy the whole duty free shop with no actual balance in card and that wouldn’t be very good.

It depends on POS but 99% of POS I use nowadays say in receipt if it is credit or debit

Mine has arrived Friday(I was not at home) so I saw the card yesterday. But it seems to have only a prepaid sign, nothing about debit (it used to have Debit as well)

But I still wait for improvements for this card as it still looks and feel cheap in my hand. And get scratches very quick

1 Like

In principle, yes, but there are some offline transactions possible with Revolut: mag stripe (depending on the POS terminal) and imprinter with the embossed standard card. Both is hard to find nowadays. With chip + PIN, service code 211 should prevent all offline transactions.

US and Korea are still on magstripe…
in US even the manual transactions on embossed number sometimes

2 Likes

I have not seen a place in the US with a embossed copier for maybe 13 years or so. And merchant terms nowadays require a authorization code from their processor to run a manual embossed transaction to prevent no funds fraud or cards not active anymore.
As for places magstripe places in the US they are rare and the ones that do it generally is for debit cards and that is for US only Debit cards using a special network. Foreign cards on chip in those places, the ones that do have only mag stripe still are online only.