Most merchants in Brazil šŸ‡§šŸ‡· don't accept Revolut Visa cards

Hi guys,

Travelling Brazil with a friend, we experienced problems paying at point of sales which are using GetNet (NO ecommerce, just the regular terminals) with Revolut Visa. The older Revolut Mastercard works seamlessly and basically helped us in situations, i.e. after pumping gas.

Any ideas or similar complaints, e.g. @anon33247966?

Cheers,
elmarconi

P. S. Itā€™s not that settings are different (e.g. contactless not allowed). And it only is at GetNet terminals (used for example at the parking terminals of GRU airport).

2 Likes

You havenā€™t said what the problems were, i.e. error message etc. Itā€™s difficult for anyone to diagnose without such details.

1 Like

True. Simply the payment does not go through, it is declined. After that rejection, no specific info is given in the app.

Have you tried to contact our in-app support team?

My guess is that the decision to decline is taken by the card terminal, not by the card issuer. In such cases, there is little that the card issuer can do except to confirm that no payment authorisation request was received.

Itā€™s high time that Visa and MasterCard required card terminals to show which party declined a transaction. Often card terminals imply misleadingly that it was the card issuer when it wasnā€™t.

1 Like

My friend did, but the guy first did not fully understand and then just reset the card. Does not change the issue tho :wink:

Iā€™m having the same issue. It shows the error ā€˜nĆ£o habilitadoā€™ something like ā€˜not enabledā€™. I tried in multiple stores and got the same behaviour.

1 Like

Were the terminals of GetNet too?

Hi guys,

I finally got a photo where the error message is shown. Hope this issue is resolved soon since there are many Visa-Revoluters out there and travelling to Brazil too. Moreover, GetNet (Santander) is common around here!

Greets

4 Likes

Hi guys,

Is there any update from the Revolut side of life, @anon33247966? Have you tried to get in touch with Santander/GetNet? My friend was stuck at a gas station yesterday for not having enough cash or an alternative cardā€¦

Again, this provider is big in Brazil, especially around Rio and Minas Gerais!

Best,
Marco

Andreas, were you able to report it inside Revolut? It is clear the failure happened due to lack of acceptance by Getnet (Santanderā€™s card machine in Brazil)

I had the same issue today, twice. Always Getnet machines. Revolut: contact Getnet ASAP, please. Months have gone by and no updateā€¦

1 Like

I got stuck again, this time at the famous Inhotim Museum outside of Belo Horizonte. They only have GetNet in all their restaurants and the entranceā€¦

Any update on this matter now? @AndreasK

Iā€™m having this issue too.

I am getting the same issue. Old card was Master Card but was cancelled after fraud. Visa card was then issued. It and the old one never work with the Get machine but the old mastercard worked with celo machines. Now the visa card will not be accepted by the celo machines so my old option in Brazil is to take out cash.

Hi guys. Thank you for your feedback. Weā€™re investigating whatā€™s going on. Could you please tell me the exact dates of the transactions? Please send it via a DM.

I am experiencing the same issues in Brazil. See these photos from last night. One says that the card does not belong to the network. The card is rejected by the terminal without attempting to authorise a charge, so it is a waste of time for @AndreasK to ask for exact dates or times of the transactions, as Revolut can see nothing on its systems. And please donā€™t suggest using contactless as a solution. Although most Brazilian card terminals bear a contactless symbol, most merchants donā€™t know how to enter an amount before the card is presented. The only procedure that they know on their card terminals is to insert the card first. Contactless is almost unheard of.

Before Revolut continues replacing UK residentsā€™ MasterCards with Visa cards, Revolut needs to find a solution to this problem, otherwise Revolut is useless in Brazil for UK residents. Perhaps Revolut needs to offer a choice of MasterCard and Visa, so that all customers can choose the card type that matches their intended destinations.

Other way around

This is planned but I wouldnā€™t hold my breathe. I asked Chad when it was coming via DM, he said heā€™d ask in the office and heā€™s blanked me since after asking if he managed to get any answers

Donā€™t suppose @AndreasK could have a word with someone and get me a Maestro and a Visa though :thinking:

@Recchan, why the other way around?

So, currently to get your desired card only way is to order card (it will be mastercard or visa or maestro (in some regions) and then if card if not what you wanted order second one (for fee) and then you will get other network card? Or its still completely random (revolutā€™s mysterious internal factors) and you can end up with 2 mastercards, for example? :thinking: