Metal cards

Fair enough. To be honest I don’t use my Portuguese cards when travelling outside the EU due to the conversion and international fees they all charge, so I have no experience on that.

But I’ve never heard of anyone having trouble using their Portuguese cards outside of the EU and I know a few frequent travellers.

If the issue is that maestro and mastercard are in the same family, why not make an MC/Unionpay card for frequent travellers to Asia as an example. Since revolut advertises as a card for travellers it would be a good product

Sure. Why not. But I believe many people that do find a MC / Maestro combination appealing have Europe in mind, to tackle the acceptance problem in countries like Belgium, Netherlands … where many merchants accept Maestro but not MasterCard.

This sounds interesting at first but I am not convinced from a UX perspective. The Fidor card, as far as I know, has only MasterCard contactless. So in Belgium, users couldn’t use the card contactless. If it would be only Maestro, then they couldn’t use the card on a trip to London for TfL. So we would need a reliable app selection for contactless as well if both apps would be available this way. And when traveling worldwide, MC plus Maestro is not really helpful because outside of Europe, MasterCard is using the same IT infrastructure anyway. It is not improving acceptance.

The Fidor card is more interesting to me because it allows to chose between credit and debit. But there are different options for this. Bunq for example issues a debit card with multiple connected accounts and a customer can choose with different PINs between different accounts.

1 Like

I totally understand why the Fidor type of card would be more interesting. My suggestion was because of the apparent problems with having maestro/MC in the same card.

But you can have a card that is MC/something else or Visa/something else, with the MC or Visa part being credit and the something else being debit. That’s how Portuguese credit cards work, you have MC or Visa for credit and Multibanco for debit. And yes with those cards only one of the functions will work with nfc

If you replace Multibanco with something else accepted internationally, that would be interesting, hence my suggestion of MC/UnionPay. Here in Portugal it’s irrelevant what brand of card you have since they’re all accepted equally, but Uniopay is probably the best option after visa and MC/Maestro since it’s also accepted in North America wherever discover cards are accepted

Maybe they’ll release a new metal card later on in the year that’ll have the back as metal as well…

Small steps! :wink:

facepalm The whole reason why the possible new Revolut and N26 card designs are NOT full metal is that this is new in the way that it is possible to support contactless payments with this design :wink:

If you’re just into full metal cards and don’t care about functionality like NFC and getting cash from ATMs, I suggest an 18K Gold Prepaid Card - doesn’t really get better than what they offer :innocent:

So a “full metal card” is actually two steps backwards, unless your priorities are different.

1 Like

When the first N26 metal cards were coming out, I believe it was last month, Revolut in a tweet directly referencing N26 said the platinum cards were going to be full metal and contactless… So I guess there’s no need to hurry up in buying that gold card

Revolut’s metal card will be very similar to N26’s. So similar that my guess is that they come from the same supplier. Stainless steel front, matt black coating, plastic back.

(The 1st edition of N26’s card was translucent plastic with a metal core. And a sticker on the front for the MC logo. They revised this design and ended up with something that seems to be almost identical to Revolut’s design.)

However N26 will get more customers (the ones who want a metal card) as they will roll it out this month to more countries.

Revolut is still saying coming soon what could me a month or a year.

I am interested in the Platinum features as family/multiple accounts. But what will include it

I’m not convinced that “rolling out” means actually sending cards out? For now, there is only a waiting list.

1 Like

So after all the “full metal” they promised is just the front…

I do expect that N26 will be earlier then Revolut.

But I am more interested in the festures. That makes platinum worth it (or not)

Do you know where this information is coming from? For me the Revolut Metal is still a full metal card…

Cut from a single sheet of stainless steel, this is the first fully metallic card in Europe.

https://blog.revolut.com/help-us-name-europes-first-metal-card/

You can watch the presentation on their Facebook page.

A price, a release date?

do you have a link to share for those, like me, not planning to get a facebook account?

And it looks like the Facebook presentation is the same as the one in :r: blog?

it’s quite similar to the business card

2 Likes

I’m not talking about a product video, I am talking about the live recording of the event in London where the card was introduced. I’m not aware that this recording is available somewhere else. A Facebook account is not necessary to watch this recording.

adding the link would answer all questions…

1 Like

This card is pre-paid or debit card?