Metal cards

Then a good proposal to Revolut would be to introduce regionalized communities where everybody can find help in his local language. But until this moment, it would be nicer to speak english. Even broken english, but at least an understandable language.

I think the issue isnā€™t about speaking another langage than English, wich is of course OK :slight_smile:

The ā€œissueā€ is that on a multiple months long topic all in English, you try sticking with English especially since you are able to understand the previous discussions and hundreds of comments.

If you want to discuss the subject with another langage, feel free to create a new topic :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree. Still no reason to be rude.

This topic has been totally derailed by this outburst. I agree replying to a fully-English thread in another language is asking for one of natureā€™s rarest miracles, that someone can understand and reply to you in kind, but it shouldnā€™t create hatred or anger.

Ultimately, in my opinion, the best solution is either create a localised topic as suggested, or the person that replied to them probably should have included a translation so that the rest of the people in the conversation were able to understand/acknowledge their input and possibly mentioned in their own tongue the preferred language in this general thread is English, so talk through them, use a translator or some other means. Still, no need for anyone to get upset or angry.

3 Likes

Totally agree with you. I think that if a topic started in english it should continue in english. Of course Iā€™m not against a topic created in polish, czech, french or whatever.

Back to topic: he suggested that the metal card should be credit, because acceptance is higher. And he seems to be a fan of the Fidor co-badged card that has both Mastercard and Maestro functionality. The Mastercard application works like a charge credit card, Maestro of course as an online only debit card.

This card is only available in Germany, the UK Fidor branch does not offer this card.

2 Likes

Itā€™s interesting talking about the credit/debit topic. Iirc in the UK the vast majority of all cards issued are all debit cards. Credit cards are actually rare;y used in the UK and you have to actually go out of your way to specifically choose one.

I believe itā€™s also seen as a relatively bad thing to have in regards to money management, etc. But thatā€™s just how I learned about them growing up. Iā€™ve never used or owned a credit card. Am I missing out on something crazy cool? :smiley:

The most common type of credit cards in Europe are charge chards (vs. revolving cards). The bill is settled fully once a month. So itā€™s basically a 30 day credit with no interest. They are convenient for situations like security deposits (car rentals, hotels). A deposit would not limit available funds on a current account. They are convenient in ā€œemergency situationsā€, like buying a plane ticket home or sth. else that one needs urgently but would blow the current account. And since there is no interest for the 30 day billing cycle, this could be cheaper than most current account overdrafts.

Also, there is a security component. The credit card bill arrives a couple of days before money will be deducted from the account. So fraudulent transactions do not affect a customerā€™s account in real time. Credit cards also usually have different policies and liability limits than debit cards in case of fraud. And they are often bundled with other things like insurances.

5 Likes

I use credit cards as revolving, and I love to be able to cleanly separate daily expenses from bills on the statements

this thread discusses about a revolut credit card

Yes, I remember that ā€œsecured credit cardā€ idea. It tackles the acceptance problem of prepaid / debit cards and some of the security concerns.

I think it is a great idea to offer ā€œrealā€ debit cards with an offline limit. Those offline limits are usually around 100. So in theory, they could issue cards with a better service code configuration without higher risk with a small security deposit. But can they do that under E-Money license? I donā€™t know. Holding customerā€™s funds locked for some reason might not be covered by this.

1 Like

I must be honest, and I would not care wheter the card is debit ir credit.

If it support offline payments as debit you can use it almost everywhere.

What I am wondering about is the cobranded card with Mastercard/Maestro, today I saw a tourist from South America and the card worked in the cafe.

That make the question for Revolut why not do it also. We all save space in our wallets :slight_smile:

About 2 years ago, I talked to a product manger for payment cards of a German bank. He tested the Fidor Smartcard on vacation, and he said he never had that many technical problems with any card before. So they decided not to issue such cards.

Also, N26 said back then when they introduced Maestro cards for German customers, that they decided against this combination because of reliability issues.

I have no information if any of these issues are resolved now. But I havenā€™t seen many other banks following Fidor here.

2 Likes

Weird, because the tourist said that she has no problems in (Colombia) South America and Europe.

I think that it depend on which country you visit, but thats a thing you also have with acceptance of Visa and Mastercard.

The Visa-Vpay dual card works fine in Europe. But outside it is only recognized as a Visa card.

1 Like

on threads about unexpected overdrafts and negative balances @anon33247966 has mentioned there is offline support already.

Yes, but thatā€™s really just a side effect of ancient payment network infrastructure and not useful for average every day payments.

As far as I know, all Revolut cards are configured with the service code 221. That means the card wants always an online connection for authorization with chip + PIN. They also do not carry LCOL / UCOL limits. These limits are stored on the card for authorizing small offline transactions up to this limit. This limit is reset next time the card getā€™s an online connection, POS or ATM. Debit cards often have a limit around 100 or so. Thatā€™s good for a snack on a train or at the gas pump.

1 Like

Unionpay is a whole other business.

No idea how that works

Co-badging is very common in Europe. The situation might be different for this specific MC / Maestro card. Both payment networks run on the same infrastructure and when Mastercard designed this, they probably didnā€™t have this combination of applications in mind.

1 Like

In Portugal virtually every card is cobranded and they all work fine. I have a fidor card and it works the same way as the Portuguese cards, you choose maestro or mastercard at the POS terminal. This follows the 2016 EU regulation on dual scheme bank cards.

If youā€™re finding issues itā€™s because the regulation isnā€™t being followed

2 Likes

The bank product manager I was talking about said it caused lots of technical problems while traveling outside EU.

1 Like