Metal cards

Totally agree with you. I think that if a topic started in english it should continue in english. Of course I’m not against a topic created in polish, czech, french or whatever.

Back to topic: he suggested that the metal card should be credit, because acceptance is higher. And he seems to be a fan of the Fidor co-badged card that has both Mastercard and Maestro functionality. The Mastercard application works like a charge credit card, Maestro of course as an online only debit card.

This card is only available in Germany, the UK Fidor branch does not offer this card.

2 Likes

It’s interesting talking about the credit/debit topic. Iirc in the UK the vast majority of all cards issued are all debit cards. Credit cards are actually rare;y used in the UK and you have to actually go out of your way to specifically choose one.

I believe it’s also seen as a relatively bad thing to have in regards to money management, etc. But that’s just how I learned about them growing up. I’ve never used or owned a credit card. Am I missing out on something crazy cool? :smiley:

The most common type of credit cards in Europe are charge chards (vs. revolving cards). The bill is settled fully once a month. So it’s basically a 30 day credit with no interest. They are convenient for situations like security deposits (car rentals, hotels). A deposit would not limit available funds on a current account. They are convenient in “emergency situations”, like buying a plane ticket home or sth. else that one needs urgently but would blow the current account. And since there is no interest for the 30 day billing cycle, this could be cheaper than most current account overdrafts.

Also, there is a security component. The credit card bill arrives a couple of days before money will be deducted from the account. So fraudulent transactions do not affect a customer’s account in real time. Credit cards also usually have different policies and liability limits than debit cards in case of fraud. And they are often bundled with other things like insurances.

5 Likes

I use credit cards as revolving, and I love to be able to cleanly separate daily expenses from bills on the statements

this thread discusses about a revolut credit card

Yes, I remember that “secured credit card” idea. It tackles the acceptance problem of prepaid / debit cards and some of the security concerns.

I think it is a great idea to offer “real” debit cards with an offline limit. Those offline limits are usually around 100. So in theory, they could issue cards with a better service code configuration without higher risk with a small security deposit. But can they do that under E-Money license? I don’t know. Holding customer’s funds locked for some reason might not be covered by this.

1 Like

I must be honest, and I would not care wheter the card is debit ir credit.

If it support offline payments as debit you can use it almost everywhere.

What I am wondering about is the cobranded card with Mastercard/Maestro, today I saw a tourist from South America and the card worked in the cafe.

That make the question for Revolut why not do it also. We all save space in our wallets :slight_smile:

About 2 years ago, I talked to a product manger for payment cards of a German bank. He tested the Fidor Smartcard on vacation, and he said he never had that many technical problems with any card before. So they decided not to issue such cards.

Also, N26 said back then when they introduced Maestro cards for German customers, that they decided against this combination because of reliability issues.

I have no information if any of these issues are resolved now. But I haven’t seen many other banks following Fidor here.

2 Likes

Weird, because the tourist said that she has no problems in (Colombia) South America and Europe.

I think that it depend on which country you visit, but thats a thing you also have with acceptance of Visa and Mastercard.

The Visa-Vpay dual card works fine in Europe. But outside it is only recognized as a Visa card.

1 Like

on threads about unexpected overdrafts and negative balances @anon33247966 has mentioned there is offline support already.

Yes, but that’s really just a side effect of ancient payment network infrastructure and not useful for average every day payments.

As far as I know, all Revolut cards are configured with the service code 221. That means the card wants always an online connection for authorization with chip + PIN. They also do not carry LCOL / UCOL limits. These limits are stored on the card for authorizing small offline transactions up to this limit. This limit is reset next time the card get’s an online connection, POS or ATM. Debit cards often have a limit around 100 or so. That’s good for a snack on a train or at the gas pump.

1 Like

Unionpay is a whole other business.

No idea how that works

Co-badging is very common in Europe. The situation might be different for this specific MC / Maestro card. Both payment networks run on the same infrastructure and when Mastercard designed this, they probably didn’t have this combination of applications in mind.

1 Like

In Portugal virtually every card is cobranded and they all work fine. I have a fidor card and it works the same way as the Portuguese cards, you choose maestro or mastercard at the POS terminal. This follows the 2016 EU regulation on dual scheme bank cards.

If you’re finding issues it’s because the regulation isn’t being followed

2 Likes

The bank product manager I was talking about said it caused lots of technical problems while traveling outside EU.

1 Like

Fair enough. To be honest I don’t use my Portuguese cards when travelling outside the EU due to the conversion and international fees they all charge, so I have no experience on that.

But I’ve never heard of anyone having trouble using their Portuguese cards outside of the EU and I know a few frequent travellers.

If the issue is that maestro and mastercard are in the same family, why not make an MC/Unionpay card for frequent travellers to Asia as an example. Since revolut advertises as a card for travellers it would be a good product

Sure. Why not. But I believe many people that do find a MC / Maestro combination appealing have Europe in mind, to tackle the acceptance problem in countries like Belgium, Netherlands … where many merchants accept Maestro but not MasterCard.

This sounds interesting at first but I am not convinced from a UX perspective. The Fidor card, as far as I know, has only MasterCard contactless. So in Belgium, users couldn’t use the card contactless. If it would be only Maestro, then they couldn’t use the card on a trip to London for TfL. So we would need a reliable app selection for contactless as well if both apps would be available this way. And when traveling worldwide, MC plus Maestro is not really helpful because outside of Europe, MasterCard is using the same IT infrastructure anyway. It is not improving acceptance.

The Fidor card is more interesting to me because it allows to chose between credit and debit. But there are different options for this. Bunq for example issues a debit card with multiple connected accounts and a customer can choose with different PINs between different accounts.

1 Like

I totally understand why the Fidor type of card would be more interesting. My suggestion was because of the apparent problems with having maestro/MC in the same card.

But you can have a card that is MC/something else or Visa/something else, with the MC or Visa part being credit and the something else being debit. That’s how Portuguese credit cards work, you have MC or Visa for credit and Multibanco for debit. And yes with those cards only one of the functions will work with nfc

If you replace Multibanco with something else accepted internationally, that would be interesting, hence my suggestion of MC/UnionPay. Here in Portugal it’s irrelevant what brand of card you have since they’re all accepted equally, but Uniopay is probably the best option after visa and MC/Maestro since it’s also accepted in North America wherever discover cards are accepted

Maybe they’ll release a new metal card later on in the year that’ll have the back as metal as well…

Small steps! :wink: