MasterCard top up not recognised as normal card transaction

I initiated my new Revolut account with £10 using Android Pay, which is linked to my Santander MasterCard. I am upset today to see that Santander have charged both the £10 and also an additional £3 for “CREDIT QUASI-CASH FEE London Revolut Ltd”.

There was no warning at any point that this would happen. In fact, the display on the Revolut app clearly said “fee: 0”. I can find no mention within the Revolut help pages that anything like this can happen. In fact, I had read the FAQ which says:

“You can top-up your Revolut account instantly with a debit or credit card (MasterCard or Visa) on the app. Credit card top-ups will be recognised as a normal card transaction, not a cash advance.”

I feel that I have been let down by Revolut’s FAQ information, since Mastercard did not recognise this as a normal card transaction. The £10 charge appears on my credit card bill as “QUASI-CASH TRANSACTION London Revolut Ltd”. I hope Revolut will make me whole for this £3 loss, and in gratitude for the bug I have uncovered in their top up systems and FAQ.

Do you know who charged the fee? Was it Santander or Revolut?

There is no indication who charged the fee. The line on my credit card statement is simply

CREDIT QUASI-CASH FEE London Revolut Ltd £3

Either way it is not what I was promised in the Revolut FAQ regarding top up by MasterCard.

I think I understand what you’re saying. You’re saying that Revolut is responsible for any fees that a third party wants to charge. Is that right?

Hey there,

This is probably a problem between Android Pay and your bank ; as mine did not charge anything more with Apple Pay. Try to contact Santander to clarify this with them and try to get them back if you are very lucky, explaining them everything. :slight_smile:

In all cases, Revolut is not responsible for these fees.

To confirm, have you ever topped-up your account with your card without Android Pay?

Regards,
Julien.

Hi @rweber,

So sorry to hear this has happened to you. As we can see from your account it’s not a fee from Revolut. We advise you to call your bank and clarify this with them. Maybe your bank charges for using Apple Pay.

Happy New Year

Best,

Andreas K.

Hi @AndreasK

Just to clarify. It was Android Pay, not Apple Pay, that I used to make this top up. In all my past transactions with Android Pay my bank has not charged any fee. It is only for Revolut that this has happened. Android Pay takes the charge from my Santander Mastercard. In making this top up I had been relying on the Revolut FAQ which says

You can top-up your Revolut account with a debit or credit card. We currently support MasterCard or Visa Credit cards to top-up. Please note, credit card top-ups will be recognised as a normal card transaction, not a cash advance.”

The statement that “credit card top-ups will be recognised as a normal card transaction, not a cash advance” has turned out to be incorrect. The charges appeared on my credit card bill as cash advance with the lines:

23/12/2016 **6822 QUASI-CASH TRANSACTION London Revolut Ltd £10.00
23/12/2016 **6822 CREDIT QUASI-CASH FEE London Revolut Ltd £ 3.00

I have never before encountered the phrase “quasi-cash transaction”. So far as I can tell by googling the term “quasi-cash” this is the designation for charges that are made by gambling and betting web sites only.

I have sent messages about this problem to both my bank Santander and to Google Android Pay. I will report their responses here when I receive them.

HOWEVER, I would have expected Revolut not to produce a misleading FAQ about how Android Pay/MasterCard payments will be charged. This method should have been tested. A warning should have been given that banks may classify Revolut top ups as “quasi-cash transactions”.

When I encountered this unexpected problem I would have expected Revolut to instantly credit my account with £3 to make up the loss, at least as a goodwill gesture, and then thank me for identifying a bug in their charging model of which they were perhaps not yet aware, and then to correct and improve the information that is provided in their FAQ. I think Revolut needs to negotiate with MasterCard and Android Pay to find out why this has happened. Perhaps Android Pay has incorrectly labelled Revolut to be a gambling web site.

@julien Yes, I have topped up by other methods without a fee, not using Android Pay. Obviously, I will do that in the future. The amount of £3 is not going to kill me. It is more that I am trying to be helpful to @AndreasK by identifying a problem with the way Revolut works with Android Pay. I am rather disappointed that Revolut are not more interested in learning from my experience and adapting their systems and FAQ so that other customers do not encounter the same problem.

@bsalita No, Revolut should not be responsible for fees charged by third parties. But they should have tested various payment methods sufficiently well that they can write FAQs which are correct and which warn customers of possible fees. It is has fallen to me to discover that the FAQ is incorrect where it says “credit card top-ups will be recognised as a normal card transaction, not a cash advance” . That has turned out to be false. My top up was not charged as a normal card transaction, but as something strange, called a “quasi-cash transaction”, which incurred a fee of 30%.

No, they should not be responsible for those fees. But they should have tested various payment methods sufficiently well that they can write FAQs which are correct and which warn customers of possible fees. It is has fallen to me to discover that the FAQ is incorrect where it says “credit card top-ups will be recognised as a normal card transaction, not a cash advance” . That has turned out to be false. My top up was not charged as a normal card transaction, but as something strange, called a “quasi-cash transaction”, which incurred a fee of 30%.

Santander has charged you exactly the same as my bank, Smile, would have charged me for a cash advance from a Credit Card to top up my Revolut card. In my experience most banks would do this. Revolut treats Credit and Debit card updates equally. What your bank does cannot be their problem. Revolut T&C’s state that it is forbidden to “Provide yourself a cash advance from your credit card (or help others to do so)”

If what you say is correct then Revolut’s FAQ is incorrect and misleading, and should be amended. They write; "“credit card top-ups will be recognised as a normal card transaction, not a cash advance” .

I agree you’ve uncovered an inconsistency. Has Santander incorrectly classified Revolut or has Revolut misunderstood how they can be classified? Maybe the issue is not Revolut but Android Pay. I only use debit cards myself and have never seen this issue. I’m wondering how other credit cards from other banks are charged.

I don’t know if I’m at the right topic but I have something similar.
I just linked my Revolut card with Google and Amazon, and after that I saw that Google charged my two times 1 euro as " Google Services ". That means 2 euros (1,82 £)
Why that happened?
I never get charged when I linked other cards.
Nowhere I saw that they gonna charge me for that service.
Will I get charged every time I link my Revolut card?

Guys the problem still exists. Did u find any solution? I have opened an official support ticket to see what is their response on the issue.

I agree, Asda Money credit card (MasterCard) issued by Creation Financial Services also charged the cash advance fees. I closed down the Asda account, seems like these loan shark card companies are finding ways to further screw customers. The fees were levy by Creation Financial Services, not Revolut.

@revolut It would be nice to have a feature in the app when topping up, that the card you are topping up with is on the ‘blacklist’ for extra fees.

Kind regards,

Ben

Hello everyone! I hope you’re well. Is there a list to consult on this? So many 0% cards in the UK now and we need to know which ones will allow no charge top up to Revolut and which will charge cash advance fee!

Does anyone know what is the max transaction size? If you have let’s say 10k credit limit, can you load 10k on Revolut in one go?