Marrakech Shopping

Guys, I’m sorry, but I’m new here.

For the next week I’m going to be in Marrakech with his wife, and as you can expect there will be some shopping.

So I ask you, if any fees will be applied to my purchases with my card or to withdrawals in Moroccan Dirham.

Thanks in advance for all the answers, and keep up the good work.

3 Likes

Hi, I go to Morocco for the first time, cash is still widely used except in major retailers according to the web information

1 Like

Fees for purchases- no.
ATM withdrawals- until you hit your monthly withdrawal limit it should be free

1 Like

Ok thank’s very mutch.:+1:

1 Like

But ATM’s may charge you for using the machine even though Revolut will not charge you for the first £200 per rolling month.

Suggest you reads the FAQ’s and help section before you go tbh.

1 Like

Make sure he doesn’t find out…

12 Likes

There is a part of the FAQ in traveling and I found IT helpful. There are some things to know when the ATM offers Dirham or any other than your base currency.
https://www.revolut.com/de/help/more/revolut-for-travel

1 Like

if the question is posed here it is to have answers from the community that has the experience of Morocco on the ground in fact. It is also one of the reasons of existence of the community, then answers who see or who can .
Sorry for my very bad english. …

2 Likes

So, if noone can tell you about Morocco, maybe we need to stick to the general info. :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

hello and well yes you’re right …:wink:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Hello everyone,

My experience at Marrackech with the REVOLUT, was fantastic.

• First I started to make the change a few days before with a favorable exchange rate.

• Arrived at the airport I withdraw the maximum of Moroccan Dirham +/- 200 €, because I would go shopping in the Souks. Here you should only deal with cash.

• On the remaining expenses I always used my REVOLUT VISA card, to pay for the Riad, the Restaurants and even the simple break for a tea. Most top establishments are managed by Europeans, here you always find atm for payments.

• As I traveled with family and friends, we opted for the system to pay all the expenses with the REVOLUT card and they paid me in cash that they exchanged at the airport.

In the end the experience was very good and the use of this card helps in a lot with other currencies. I was even surprised at the initial exchange rate from EUR to MAD, which gave me a few more Dirham than expected.

Any other question related to my experience is just ask.

6 Likes

@FiipePT: How was DCC situation in Marrakech? Did payment automaticly went in local currency (MAD) or you were asked to choose currency each time?

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the follow up! :+1:

1 Like

Hello Moon,

I always used the Moroccan Dirham as currency. I was never asked for a choice because I converted all my money into the REVOLUT for Moroccan Dirham.
If he had another active currency on the card, he might have asked.

I prefer to always think of their currency, so I do not always make conversions, so I memorized “10 Dirham = 1 Euro” to make it easier.

My conversion rate from EUR to MAD was +/- 11.10 on 28 May.
Now I expect for a rate close to 0.0910 to reverse into Euros what I still have in Dirham.

1 Like

Hi, newbie to Revolut here. Sorry to hijack an old thread but I’ve just joined and am unable to start a new topic :frowning_face:

I’m travelling to Marrakesh soon and currently have money in 3 different currencies on my Revolut Visa card as follows:

2,000 MAD
400 EURO
600 £ STERLING (my base currency)

1.) As soon as I land there I plan to withdraw 2,000 MAD from an ATM at the airport. Will the card know I want to withdraw MAD and will there be any kind of fee associated with the withdrawal?

2.) The place I’m staying at in Marrakesh is going to take payment for my stay in Euros (amount is a fraction under 400 Euros). So again if I use my Revolut card there, will it automatically use EURO’s to pay (without incurring any fee’s or converting £ to EUROS – seeing as the local currency of the Country where the transaction is taking place is MAD and not EUROS).

3.) For the remainder of my trip if I use my Revolut card there, should I convert STERLING to MAD and then make payment? Or just leave it as STERLING and let Revolt do the conversion to MAD?

Sorry for all the question but don’t want to end up with any nasty surprises due to human error

1 Like

Hi @70ny,
Well all of the above is widely discussed in the forum – and explained as well. Some of it in the FAQ as well.

In short:

1. DCC is a process you need to avoid. The ATM may recognize it’s not a Maroccan card and offer withdrawal in £ at the bank’s rate. Fees may apply and :r: has no influence on that. Check that:
    The Ultimate Free ATM List - Travelling (by country)

2. If you own € you’ll be charged in €. If you own 50 € and you are charged 100 € the next biggest currency account will be used at the actual Interbank rate.

3. It makes sense to exchange into local currencies if possible because on weekends you’ll have a mark up and maybe you’ll get more MAD today then next week for the same amount of £.

I hope that helps.

3 Likes

Which ATM in marrakech airport allow us to withdraw money without any charges or fees ? Airport only please.

1 Like
  1. Go to The ultimative free ATM withdrawal list for travelling (by country) and check for Morocco
  2. If there’s an entry write it down, maybe.
  3. Go to https://maps.app.goo.gl/Rn2JJCQdnpdB2HQn6 and check for ATMs.
  4. Compare the results to those in the list of 1.

Additional tip: https://support.google.com/maps/forum/AAAAQuUrST8I6F_J1zX7O8?hl=en

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing these information with us. :star:

Welcome to our community @Zeekha @70ny. :r:

SG | Community Team