MAD currency

Hi @anon33247966 ,

Can you please confirm that this is currently being investigated?

Thanks

Good Morning! It’s not the weekend. It is outside "business hours so I’ll have a look after 9am"
However I totally agree that GBP MAD is below what it should be.
Yahoo finance at 07:48:00 was showing GBP/MAD at : Bid 12.377 and Ask 12.402
Revolut was showing 12.0565.
That’s means Revolut marking up 2.69%

This is on the Bid price…NOT THE MID MARKET price as you like to keep telling us.
But a quick look at the price over time shows the Revolut price is nowhere near the bid or ask price EVER!

Come on Revolut don’t say you give interbank rates if you clearly do not.
Tell us your interbank source so we can check for ourselves.
GBP/EUR and GBP/USD are correct but GBP/MAD, no way jose!

As a shareholder i demand to know why you are saying that GBP/MAD represents Interbank rates when it clearly does not. By giving customers this information you are breaching a whole set of rules and putting my shareholding in danger.
Customer Service or transparency will keep the old customers, both will win new ones, neither and its bye byes.

Hi @anon33247966,

Can you please confirm that this is being looked at?

Thanks!

Looks like this thread is ignored by Revolut’s team as no updates from @anon33247966 or anyone else :frowning:

Someone in another thread mentioned that intermediary fees are sometimes not applied to small transfers. Did you notice any intermediary fee when you transferred a large amount (>1000EUR) from Revolut to Morocco?

Yes i did, nothing charged by revolut’s intermediary bank as far as i recall.

1 Like

Apologies for the wait, I was on holidays.

I think I have replied to your DM:

The reason why you feel like you are getting extra percentage points charged is because in some cases (usually rare cases) the difference between the mid-market rate (as shown on XE) and the interbank bid rate can be slightly larger than expected.

What people see online is the mid-market rate, i.e. the average between the bid and offer rate. This is because when you go to search up a currency pair the website doesn’t know whether you’re looking to buy or sell that currency so it just gives the middle.

These interbank bid rates are usually quite hard to find online as they are mainly used by the largest mutual and hedge funds in the world as well as large multinational corporations who have millions (if not billions) of dollars. But Revolut is able to pass on this rate to you with no markup except for what is stated on our FAQs, which during the weekends is 0.5% for the major currencies and 1% for the other currencies.

Hi @anon33247966,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I think the issue now, as you can see from the quoted message, is that We are displaying the current FX rate on Revolut’s chart and it’s different from the exchange rate offered when exchanging to MAD.

The tech team is looking into it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi is this still being looked into as the issue is ongoing. Still in July 2018.

Hi,
When will the MAD Currency be added into the Australian Revolut?

1 Like

could be great if revolut add bank transfer with MAD, i send money every month and i wanna use revolut to do it,

many thanks

Achraf

Hi Achraf,

Do you send money to Morocco every month via Revolut? If so, do you receive the full amount or there is a 20 EUR intermediary bank fee?

I’m asking because I used to send Money to Morocco from Revolut and used to get the full amount, but the last time I tried, an intermediary bank took 20 Euros from the total amount, and my bank in Morocco received the amount that I send - 20 euros.

See my thread here: https://community.revolut.com/t/revoluts-intermediary-bank/110843/3

no no, im not sending money from revolut, but up to now, im using western union, with direct transfer to the moroccan account (to avoid the pickup fees and no intermediary bank fees), taking around two days to be in the account, honestly im working in finance, for EURUSD EURGBP, they re good really good, but the rate in MAD is not good at all, big spread, suggesting you to use western union or moneygram, try to transfer ur GBP to EUR with revolut and then send with westernunion online by revolut card, u will be debited in EUR, cause the rate will be more interesting due to liquidity (moroccan bank will be more interested in holding EUR than GBP), the only limit is the WU online transfer is up to 1000eur, im puting the idea here to encourage revolut to do better

1 Like

Honestly, I think that the rates offered by WU for MAD bank transfers are very poor. I suggest that you give transferwise a try and compare the MAD amount between both transferwise and WU.

For Large transfers (>5k), sending from Revolut is still the best option even with the 20 EUR intermediary bank fee, as the bank in Morocco will convert using the exchange rate set by Bank Al Maghrib for wire transfers (Cours Virements), which is not the same rate applied for bank notes.

3 Likes

today is not really interesting to see the difference due to the market off and mark up by revolut, but monday, i will show you the spread between revolut, WU and the real time in the bloomberg terminal

I just made a quick comparison between Transferwise and WU for 2000 Euros to MAD.

WU: 20982.62 MAD

TW: 21199.33 MAD

Regarding Revolut, I understand that their MAD exchange rate is bad, but if you send EUR from Revolut to your bank in Morocco, you get the Moroccan Cours Virement which not very far from the spot exchange rate, but this option is only worth it for large transfers due to intermediary fees.

3 Likes

still wondering this cours virement, i use to send via WU directly to bank account, all good so far, i try once to send eur via revolut i got a huge fees, probably intermediary bank, then last time i open an account with CIH bank in morocco, to test, i sent 20e but i received only 60.53dh, that too much they need to implement a direct MAD transfer

I gave up sending money to Morocco via Revolut. I now use Wise which has a good exchange rate and reasonable fees.

1 Like

for small amount less than 500e, western union is the best; for big amount wise is better