London: Travelling top up with GBP?

I’m planning to travel to London and use the whole amount for payments there (or getting cash from ATMs). It is better to top up directly with GBP or should I just top up with EUR (my bank account is a Greek one).

Thanks.

Ideally you top up with the currency your bank account or card is in.
Then you can convert to the currency you want, or just use the ATM without converting.
If you have a balance in the currency you use the card for, it will use that, if you don’t it will take the FOREX rate at the time of the transaction.
If you try to top up in GBP from an account held in EUR the app will ask you if you want to do this, and explain it’s not a good idea.
If you hold a GBP account, you can use that as well as your EUR account, but always do the FOREX in :r:evolut.
HTH

1 Like

Thank you very much for the explanation.

Hello @baskin,

The rule is that you should top up in the currency that your bank account is held in. For example, if you have a GR bank account make sure you top up in EURO. If you don’t your bank will convert the money for you and charge a huge fee!

You can exchange your Euro to GBP on the app, or just let your card to auto convert your balance to the local currency you’re spending it at the best available rate.

Please let me know if you have further enquiry.

Best,

Andreas K.

2 Likes