List of ATM's that don't charge a fee

My little experience last week…arriving in Wellington airport…only one BNZ ATM asking 10 NZ$ for withdrawal !..Downtown I made it from ANZ for 3 NZ$ as I had no time to check too many other possibilities

Hi, my little experience as well in Seoul in South Korea :
Atm at the airport close to money exchange store : 3600W asked for 100000W requested.
Atm KB star : 0W asked

I am currently in Connecticut and New York, USA

Wells Fargo Bank - no fees, great ATMs, great Coverage

Chase - 7$ fee, only in cities

BoA - 6$ fee, good coverage

TD Bank - 6$ fee, good coverage

Key Bank, Peoples Bank, Union Bank - declined card

Thank you (Merci), I will test and give feedback if needed.

State Bank of India (SBI) has no fee and also has INR100 notes frequently loaded inside. Choose account type “current” or it won’t work. The rejection of currency conversion is tricky and you must observe the entire screen.
All other atms I tried levy INR230 fee and have only INR500 and INR2000 notes (good luck getting change from the latter…).
All atms are limited to INR 10000.

Hello,

Do you know if in edinburgh airport there ara atm that do not charge any fee with revolut card? the mastercad site and at the edinburgh airport site says that atm do not charge any fee provided the card is a uk domestic card, is revolut card a domestic uk card? and at the mastercard site, the option “no acces fee within country” applies to revolut card? those atm shows with this option are free of charge? thanks,

Nobody has been to Japan?

No regular bank ATMs will charge you a fee in SEPA zone, including UK.

I believe there are ATMs in Germany that might charge you a fee or limit the withdrawal for Mastercards.

The card issuing bank could charge you (the same as Revolut) but no regular bank ATM should charge you, this is againsts EU SEPA regulation.

Anywhere else outside of SEPA, both the card issuing bank and the institution operating the ATM could charge you.

1 Like

Well, I don’t know. The situation in Germany right now is that most ATMs are operated by Sparkasse. Private banks build service networks and allow customers from competing banks to use their ATMs without fees just to be competitive.

Example: as a customer of Deutsche Bank one could use the ATMs from Commerzbank. But a customer who’s bank is not a member of the “cash group” service network would have to pay a fee for any withdrawal.

I am not saying that withdrawals are not regulated like you said, but I would be interested in a link to the regulation text to look into it further. Because that would mean that all German banks violate this regulation.

Different, but connected: I believe Mastercard and Visa might regulate bank ATM fees in their license agreements. As long as an ATM shows the MC / Visa brand, an ATM operator has to follow these terms. That is the reason why some German banks stopped to accept some cards completely.

I meant to say that in SEPA area, only your card issuer is allowed to charge you, but not the bank or institution whose ATM you are using for withdrawal.

So say you’re a Sparkasse client - Sparkasse could charge you for using the Commerzbank ATM but the Commerzbank can’t charge you for the fact that you’re withdrawing money from their ATM. Equally, a Commerzbank can charge their clients for using a Sparkasse ATM, but Sparkasse can’t charge that customer for having used their ATM.

Only card issuer charges, i.e your bank/financial institution charges (fixed fee/%fee/currency conversion fee) are authorized in SEPA, you can’t be charged twice for withdrawal by both your bank and the bank whose ATM you used.

There are few exceptions to this mainly concerning “specialized” ATM services, so not your regular commercial bank ATM services like certain independent, stand-alone or multicurrency ATMs.

The fee you pay as a non-member of the “group” as you said can exist, but the fee is then collected by your bank/card issuer and not directly by the ATM service provider (the two parties can later split the fee but that’s another story).

But if you’re going to the US or Asia or anywhere else, both your card issuer and bank operating the ATM can charge you.

Sounds reasonable to avoid a double charge. But the fees for non-customers using a “foreign” ATM are ATM operator fees, I believe.

They vary, from bank to bank. Most German banks don’t have a card issuer charge for withdrawals with debit cards (national Girocard network).

This is at least how it appears for customers. If the card issuing bank would charge for withdrawals at foreign ATMs, it would necessarily be stated in the terms and conditions for the debit card. It is not. But every German bank ATM has a little sticker next to it telling you the fees for non-customer cards.

I used a Maybank ATM today and I confirm they don’t charge any fee.

Hi, are there any banks in Switzerland that don’t charge a fee when withdrawing the money from the ATM? Looking forward for your answers. Thank you in advance.

Hi expatier,

You claim that “in SEPA area, only your card issuer is allowed to charge you, but not the bank or institution whose ATM you are using for withdrawal”. Does it mean that in EU using Revolut you can withdraw up to the limit without any fees (if not EU then SEPA area)? I think, that all the banks in EU must be using SEPA by now. So based on that you should be able to withdraw using Revolut without any fess basically on any ATM in the whole EU?

Essentially yes, this is what I meant :slight_smile: But this only appies to SEPA zone (EU+a couple of other countries).

MALAYSIA:
BSN bank: no fees. ATM can be found all around the country
VIETNAM:
Saigon commercial bank: no fees
ATM can be found in Saigon and in the south on the country. there is not so many ATM
SRI LANKA:
bank nations trust: no fees
BOC bank of Ceylon: no fees
other banks may charge a fee but those 2 banks have many branches across the country

I hope this will help. bon voyage

2 Likes

ATM at New Delhi airport does charge a fee. I took 500 rupees and the fee was 230 rupees.

Don’t remember the name of the bank, sorry.

Spain (Mallorca)

Santander - free
Telebanco - free
Sabadell - €1.80

3 Likes