It's 2019. It's time for a web app šŸ˜”

Temporary workaround :wink:

Same Revolut account can be used simultaneously on more devices.
There are several ā€œAndroid on PCā€ options.

I completely agree with you and the other people! :+1:

1 Like

Does the software updates by itself? Like Spotify/Chrome etc.

Or at least notify the update and make easy to do it.

Itā€™s always a question what place Revolut wants to take in the financial industry. At the moment, they are pretty much in the ā€œmodern worldā€ and cater for many things required for this.
But as we all know, many day to day financial requirements are not yet available in the modern world. Take the requirements to pay bills in my home country, Switzerland. We have a traditional yet very advanced system to pay bills containig reference numbers and the like. This all works with any traditional Swiss bank but not with Revolut.
This is a gap between Revolutā€™s focus on payments by card and companies as well as governmental entities issuing invoices to individuals. Paying your daily stuff in shops is no problem with Revolut but paying these invoices with Revolut simply does not work yet. Changing the way these companies/government issues bills for payment will not happen soon as well.
Itā€™s really a question if Revolut shall ever support these traditional payment processes or not. Itā€™s basically also the question if Revolut aims to be a bank people use for all their transactions they face during a month or if Revolut wantā€™s to stay in the ā€œcard paymentā€ business.

At the moment, in Switzerland, itā€™s simply not possible to use Revolut for all requirements put on you as an individual and you need a bank account. This traditional bank account has still the main focus for many financial transactions with Revolut as a product for card transactions, in addition to the traditional bank account.

So the question comes down to where Revolut sees itself in a few years time. Do they really want to become the company for all finance transactions in all countries they are doing business now, then they need to invest a lot of money to be present in all these markets with many local specialities to care fore. I donā€™t know any traditional bank that does this. Or they stay with their current business model to be mainly a card issuing company with the possibility to do some occacional, traditional payments.

Depending on this anwer from Revolut, it is or is not required to have a web interface as well.

But for now, IMHO, more imporant than providing a web interface is getting a reliable and available support together in case of problems where each user gets an answer within max hours for any problem, not days or weeks as itā€™s today if you look at certain other threads in this forum.

6 Likes

This is a great point of view :grin::+1:t2:

As a former foreign Swiss resident, the most painful thing you must do is payments.

You keep all your invoices when they arrive and process the orange and red slips on a Sunday. Depending on the amount of invoices you get (and you get invoiced for anything) you need to spend some time, hours even, if everything goes fine.

Even in my home country, Spain, you sometimes need to review your payments, copy/paste something or download a receipt for a bank, insurance or taxes.

I think Iā€™m not alone when if I have to type more than a phone number I would rather do it on a proper keyboard. Actually, I donā€™t even type phone numbers, let alone account number, full name, account, referenceā€¦

I travel a lot for work. I must keep track of all expenses, often in different currencies. This requires a decent amount of time at the keyboard every week if I want to report everything properly to get my money back (bye bye company credit cards), even when ā€œintegrationā€ with systems like Concur works.

A web app is a must for any business which requires typing.

3 Likes

In Switzerland, what they would have to do is the following (in that order):

1.Get rid of SWIFT transfers for all transactions from/to Swiss accounts
2.Support the new 2020 payment slips with an easy-to-use scan-to-pay interface within the app
3.Establish a new cheap online payment method to easily transfer money from Revolut to Revolut business accounts, including recurring transactions, and convince major PSPs (or at least the major PSP) to integrate it

1 + 2 solves @mabaeyens concern ā€œprocess the orange and red slips on a Sundayā€ -> Youā€™d process all of them any time you want with the Revolut app in 2 minutes.

3 is the answer to TWINT, which, albeit slowly, is increasing their market share at the expense of credit card transactions.

But I completely agree with @OliverCH. Whether any of this is relevant completely depends on the companyā€™s strategy.

so you prefer to use your phone to contact the support and do actvities, instead the comfort of a big monitor, mouse and keyboardā€¦makes sense /s

3 Likes

thatā€™s interesting, Iā€™ll take a look, thanks

This is an arbitrary statement, in 2019 we can see that the use of PC stops decreasing and even, increases a little bit. The all-mobile bet is already lost. And Revolut is addressed to travellers, no ? What if I am in Vietnam and I lose my phone, how can I access my account ? What if I choose to travel without phone for personal reasons, but still have access to my personal pc that I use for my blog, or access to Cybercafes ? WebApps are more ecological (dont need your personal phone), very adaptable because every platform can handle a browser, and isnt your target aspiring to more freedom and respect of the environment ? Many companies today understood it and use the progressive web apps manifest in their front-end apps. You should too, because Im hesitating to join you for this reason and Im sure a lot of people are.

5 Likes

Exactly, we need a web app at least to manage our accounts. The modern-way-to-go excuse was already proven wrong, people still use the web a lot, you need to adapt. Not everyone want to own a mobile phone for many reasons, its 2019 guys. I wont use my smartphone to buy street food in Africa, and I wont for the next 50 years I imagine, so even the excuse of mobile payment is bad. In fact I wont even use mobile payment because its useless and 97% of the planet dont care about ir. Youre making a huge mistake by embracing an already lost bet. And its not a debate, we are literally your customers, read and take in account our needs instead of giving blocking one sided answers.

2 Likes

Behind a thick smoke wall ? This could be true, and I hope so !

If you travel to Vietnam and lose your phone you can still ā€œoperateā€ your account/s, like moving money to it using your IBAN numbers and withdraw from an ATM. And if you buy a new phone with a new number you can restore access to your accounts by following the instructions in this video: https://youtu.be/yZG3u8BjqbE

Still and all, the issue with the single access point remains. I donā€™t want to buy new phones and I donā€™t care about reinventing the wheel at all costs for the sake of revolution. I just donā€™t want my accounts to be strictly coupled to a single device, thatā€™s it.

1 Like

You must live on a different planet than me.

Then donā€™t use :r:, itā€™s not compulsory; leave it to to millions who are happy :wink:

1 Like

Thereā€™s really no need to be rude. After all Revolut claims to offer: ā€œGlobal spending and transfers without rubbish exchange rates.ā€ In the company about page the word ā€œbankā€ is mentionedā€¦ not a single occurrence to the word ā€œmobileā€. So I donā€™t understand why someone should not be able to access one or more benefits without being dependent on a specific device.

Thereā€™s actually people who donā€™t want to own one and people who cannot own one. Itā€™s a big planet and thereā€™s extreme inequality unfortunately. Still, apparently those people would love the same access to resourceā€¦ cheap access. You are here for the same reason after all. Otherwise youā€™d go with some global cool expensive bank like UBS. Banks do offer the same services, but do so at a price.

Itā€™s ok to disagree, itā€™s not ok to dismiss with arrogance other peopleā€™s need.

8 Likes

No they donā€™t. At least half of Revolutā€™s benefits are convenience not offered by traditional banks. For example, the UBS you mentioned doesnā€™t offer Apple Pay or Google Pay. Also, their app sucks (basically a web-app). Also, they either donā€™t offer P2P payment services or it doesnā€™t work half of the time (TWINT in the case of UBS). Also, card management is worse. And virtual/disposable cards are not available either. And neither are shared vaults and so on.

Right, but this goes both ways. Revolutā€™s app, despite some shortcomings, is actually very good. Once they build all that into a web page, it is almost inevitable that the app will suffer due to loss of focus and struggle for resources. What that means is that someone who continues to demand a web app is not just showing their need, depending on how they do it it is actually just as arrogant towards other peopleā€™s needs namely those who love great apps.

1 Like

Of course convenience is offered as a service quite often. A Taxi offers convenience. Iā€™m not taking a Taxi to sit extremely well. Iā€™m sure there are better seats somewhere. Iā€™m also not taking the taxi because my luggage is best stowed in a car trunk. Iā€™m taking the Taxi because it takes me to some place I would otherwise have to take a bus or have to walk to, making my life more convenient. I am paying for this convenience.

The card is issued by an issuer. If the issuer doesnā€™t support Apple Pay, you are out of luck. UBS customers are out of luck. Revolut is an issuer who supports Apple Pay. If the accountā€™s card doesnā€™t support certain services, this is totally relevant and is exactly ā€œthe pointā€.

Feature prioritization is a thing in every software company, including Revolut. I donā€™t know why youā€™d think this has anything to do with advice.

If you would like to understand, just read the comment instead of going into attack mode. You were saying that people shouldnā€™t dismiss other peopleā€™s needs in an arrogant way. And I am saying that people also shouldnā€™t put their needs forward in an arrogant way because peopleā€™s different needs are competing.

1 Like

Despite the incredible level of nonsensical noise generated, Iā€™m happy to read about some clear commitment around and about the subject matter by an actual Revolut spokesperson.

This, combined with open job positions for frontend engineers gives hope somethingā€™s actually cooking.

When asked in a Revolut questionnaire to list the main reasons preventing me from switching to Revolut as my main banking account, I mentioned in the first place the lack of a universally accessible touch point, that is a web client.

4 Likes

I would definitely use a web app as I have said several times, for multiple reasons, most if not all mentioned in this thread; the post you quote dates from 2017, though.

3 Likes

I know, but usually these things take time and @anon33247966 doesnā€™t really have a track record for repeating the same things over and over. And although they are not the fastest, they definitely delivered what they said they would. This thread started pretty much as a provocation put some pressure on them and I think they are aware how a web app is important and confident they are working on it. But thanks to you and all who keep posting about it and hold on to that level of pressure.

2 Likes