Israel Travel Experience

Hi there,
I have just come back from Israel and would like to share some tips when it comes to using Revolut.

ATM
Most of the ATMs accept Revolut Card - I have only used one ATM that did not work with a Revolut Card. However, almost all of them charge a small fee 5.90 NIS (New Israeli Shekel) or 6.90 NIS so draw more money to minimize the fee/NIS.

I highly recommend using ATM Hapoalim machines - they did not charge anything and allowed to select whether you want eg. 1 x 100 NIS or 2 x 50 NIS.

It is good to have an actual money rather than paying with card so go for it!

Card Payments
Swipe Payments ONLY (I did not find any chip payments and only 1 contactless). Make sure to enable Swipe Payments in your App Settings.

Make sure to have a backup card (preferably not a Revolut) because in some places it simply did not work (we had a train to catch in 5 minutes and ticket machine refused our Revolut card so we used a regular card).

TLV Airport
Duty Free zone gives prices in USD, but when paying ask what the price would be in NIS - there was a 10% better price when switching to NIS.

Cash
Make sure to have cash with you - you are going to need it on the Flea Markets, in Public Transport and in most of the local stores.

Pro tip - don’t buy NIS in your country, they might give you bad price. Just take some EUR/USD/GBP and exchange without any commission in Israel - it turned out to be cheaper than buying NIS with Revolut and withdrawing from the ATM.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

13 Likes

Appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Hi Łukasz,
Where to exchange USD to NIS? At the airport is ok? Or rather in the cities?

1 Like

Thanks a lot @lukaszfilipiuk for your much appreciated experience feedback.

I intend to go to Israel soon too, and use Revolut abroad for the first time.

You mean, we are not even charged the 2% described at https://www.revolut.com/fairusage ?

Also, can anybody confirm that if I withdraw / pay in Israel with my Revolut card, this will be taken on my ILS Revolut account, and not my € Revolut account (which might involve some costly currency exchange rates) by the local bank ?

1 Like

First: Help Centre | Revolut
Second: always insist on being billed in ILS. Always check your receipts, chances are the merchant just chose DCC for you without letting you choose.

1 Like

Thanks @Daidai.

So let’s say I check a receipt and notice the currency is in euros… Is it not too late anyway?

No, merchants are able to revert transactions.
If they don’t know how you may request the manager and remind them of the chargeback penalty if they still refuse to bill you correctly (fee the merchant has to pay for every chargeback).

1 Like

Airport exchange rates are usually far worse than in cities.
So if you can wait till you are in a city.

Hi there,
is there any of you who can share some updated news on Revolut in Israel? I plan to go there for a few months and would like to know something “fresher”.
thank you!