Is the weekend charge for spending or exchange? I'm

Hi

I’m new to revolut and saw there is a weekend markup charge. Is this for exchange or is it for spending / withdrawing.

As an example, I’m basd in the UK and so use £. If I convert this to euro during the week ready to spend in Europe on a weekend would be charged at the point of sale? Or is it at the point of exchange/conversion through the app (if done on a weekend)?

Thanks

Stuart

Hello @Pieboy100 :smiley:

If you convert it to EUR during the week, the money would be converted (without markup) to EUR, and you would be able to use that balance directly, without the need for another conversion (long story short: you fix the rate the moment you convert it).

If you don´t, you will get the latest rate + the markup, which is quite small anyway :slight_smile:

The markup affects all transactions where exchange is involved. Payments without exchange don’t have this markup. Like @Juliopp descibed, exchanging during the week would a an option to avoid the markup :wink:

Well, that is like hedging your risk, but it works only for the currencies that we can maintain in the app. For example, if you happen to be in Russia and have to spend money in weekend, then you take the full cost on RUB currency markup.

Hi,

Outside of FX market hours there is a 0.5% mark up on major currencies and 1.0% mark up on other currencies above the interbank rate on any exchange. For illiquid currencies like Russian Ruble and Thai Baht, there is 1.5% mark up on weekend.

During FX market hours you get the interbank rate.

@jessicaszabla: sorry for necro’ing this. What are the FX market hours that Revolut uses? I cannot find them documented anywhere (yes - I’ve searched community topics for an answer).