Initial Thoughts on Revolut Metal?

2 weeks ago, a flight company called Transavia, they lost my baggage, so i called White Horse the insurance company and partner of metal to ask if i can get a compensation and to buy some clothes. they told me that I’m in my home town and they can’t do that unless if i’m outside my living country… what if all my clothes and shoes are in this baggage ? All to say that’s not as premium as described

1 Like

Well, to be honest, no insurance company or flight company in the world would compensate you when you’re in your home town. Its like to go to a hotel, cause your flight was late and there was no public transportation.
I mean, let’s be reasonable.

2 Likes

@Bodrimir as an Etihad GOLD member u get CHF 50.00 if they lose your baggage and you fly business. At least I got it on my outbound flight from ABU to ZRH. And I live in Switzerland.

That is not a lot honestly. My baggage is worth much more than that - a good suitcase alone costs four times more… :rofl:

Are the n26 fees and currency conversion rates about the same?
I would like to try them as well.

Not that I don’t like revolut but they are driving me crazy with the source of funds checks every couple of months.

You basically can’t be using the metal card if you plan to spend few 10s of thousands of EUR per year. I’m on vacation now, and they suspended my account while abroad and I can’t scan the documents they want from me.
They did that like twice for few months.
Even if I proved plenty of income last time…

On top of that I can’t even start a new thread here to complain about it even if I have spent enough time on the forum and reached the needed level. Uh.

For me the only thing missing and the would be nice is access to the UK Faster Payments network, it’s frustrating not having this.

If Revolut had:

• Faster Payments
  • UK Direct Debits

I’d use the account as my main account in a heartbeat, however, since it doesn’t I’m still forced to use other services that offer this service.

They charge 1.7% on all ATM withdrawals, instead of having a free allowance and then 2%

Their rates are typically slightly better than Revolut’s.

Shouldn’t get these with N26 because they’re a bank, but Revolut is becoming a bank soon:tm: then they’ll go away.

• concierge useless for me
  • Cashback of 0.1% in wider Europe (basically one third of earth’s northen emisphere) is very low
  • Metal card is nice, something different from a regular card…and heavy
1 Like

It includes Russia too which is really weird :thinking: since they’re in Europe, but not the EU where the interchange fees are capped by law

It includes Kazakhstan too. Which is in Asia.

Does it include Turkey too?

Technically Kazakhstan, Russia and Turkey are Eurasia (they span across both continents)

Check FAQs. You can find the official list there. :wink:

1 Like

No, you get 5 free ATM withdraws per month in Germany, not limited in the amount.
In other EUR countries you have unlimited free ATM withdraws.
Outside of EU, they are charging 1.7% on the standard plan. Free on Black an Metal plan.

I definitely would consider Metal as I definitely fall into the tarhet audience but as others have commented on, there are other cards at that price point that delivers so much more in terms of premium content. What would make me get Metal? Well…

1. Proper lounge access (Either unlimited access or 1-2 free visits per month).
    The current offer is a joke. One (1) free visit per year. There are cards in my home country that will give you unlimited visits at a charge of 20 EUR more per year. A lot of lounges today will accept payment on arrival, even if you don´t have a priority pass or lounge key membership, this at a price that most often is lower than what Revolut will charge you.

2. Better cash-back (1% across the board)
    Many, many, many credit cards will give you 0,5-1% cashback on everything if you pay a yearly fee ranging from nothing to 30 EUR a year. Revolut screams 1% in your face and then it is actually 0,1% in Europe (which in reality is Europe as well as Eurasia by Revolut standards).

3. Remove the concierge service.
    Anyone who has used a concierge service knows that it is completely useless and something that only people with low self esteem will find meaningful to boost their ego. I speak from personal experience as I have used them in the past (feel free to joke on my behalf). The only concierge service worth a damn is American Express that actually sometimes can get you access to restaurants that are fully booked. In my own experience, the rest of these services are glorified “we’ll-google-it-for-you-outfits”. If it somehow cuts into Revolut´s profit margin - loose it.

Those are my two cents.

7 Likes

I think 2 a year would be fair. Usable at your convenience.

I’d say most standard lounges you can get in at the door for less than Revolut charges. You actually get to know if the lounge is full then, too.

I can find quite a few 0.5% ones, nothing 1% though. (besides a card that if you spend at their store you get 1% in store vouchers)

3 Likes

In line with the community rules (and also because I am one happy camper) I´ll avoid your snarky tone and go straight to answering your questions - all in an effort to provide meaningful information to forum members and Revolut themselves.

As you obviously find that this is a completely idiotic opinion, I can advise you that there are more than one CC in my home country (Sweden) that will offer full lounge access. One example is Eurocard Platinum, with a yearly fee of 1500 SEK (About 140 EUR). Unlimited access without a entrance fee. But sadly, no complimentary car.

As you provide no factual content here I can’t really say anything else than that this is not true for the places where I have been and continue to go on a weekly, sometimes daily, basis. Let´s leave this one up for debate.

Again, a few examples from my home country Sweden:
Shell Mastercard (Free) - 0,5% cashback on everything.
Everyday Mastercard (195 SEK/19 EUR per year) - Groceries and Fuel: 1% cashback, everything else: 0,5% (spend above 20 000 SEK during a 6 month period and you get 1% in this category as well).

Good day to you, sir.

9 Likes
3 Likes

You really need to look at the bigger picture. We know that these rewards are paid out of interchange fees. But what happens if a bank can’t make the money they are “rewarding” with these interchange fees? One obviously can’t pay 0.5% from a 0.2% revenue.* They cross subsidize, of course.

The Shell card you mentioned has some hefty fees. Foreign currency: 2%, cash withdrawals: 3% (minimum 35 SEK). And then they are making money on interest. When customers don’t pay the credit card bill in full per month, there’s interest. 17.80 %. And I haven’t checked the FX rates, there might be some fees hidden there as well, I don’t know.

With Revolut Metal, you’ve got the yearly subscription fee, 2% for cash withdrawals over 600 EUR and maybe some income from the weekend markup (that could be avoided for major currencies), and extras like travel insurance additions, crypto and airport lounges.

Since prepaid debit cards and credit cards are wildly different products from the perspective of bank revenue, I don’t see how a prepaid debit card could compete with rewards programs of credit cards.

You might argue that you’re not withdrawing cash, that you are always paying your credit card bill in full, and that you’re not using the card outside Euro zone. Well, then the Shell card is a good product for you. But I don’t like the idea of Revolut adopting a similar price structure like the Shell card just to be able to offer 0.3% more cashback.

(* interchange for debit cards 0.2% and for credit cards like the Shell card in this example 0.3% – so there’s already a difference here)

2 Likes

To put this into further perspective, here is a graph that shows the development of “revolving” credit (like the Shell card) in Sweden over the years.

It is fair to assume that interest on revolving credit is a considerable and raising revenue stream for banks.

2 Likes

Actually, outside Sweden as EUR/NOK to SEK would already incur foreign currency fees and the exchange rate markup.

There are a couple of subtle things at work here too. For example, the Shell card doesn’t offer cashback on purchases from competitors. Also, most people will receive their cashback as a voucher to be used or cashed in again at a Shell station. So, this is also very much a loyalty program.

The Eurocard one I find particularly clever. They basically offer you a Priority Pass Prestige. But I’m sure their actual terms with Priority Pass are pay-per-visit. And who from Sweden visits Airport lounges? Those who are often staying abroad and hence are going to spend money in foreign currencies which means Eurocard gets its entrance fee back from the same people and on the same trips where they use the lounges.

That said, I think he still does have a point. His original statement started with “What would make me get Metal?” If he is completely aware of the hidden fees and how each card should be used, he can get incredible value from above cards and use Revolut free or premium only for foreign currencies. So, for him personally to get Metal, Revolut’s offerings would have to beat these other cards. Nothing wrong with that. It should just be clear that this is impossible. If you use each card to your advantage in different use cases, none of them are actually making money from you. But that’s because you’re clever. A service combining all the advantages in a single card would lose money across the board.