[India] ATM Surcharge on Revolut cards

Hey everyone,

I just came back from India and was very disappointed with the cost of using Revolut card to withdraw cash from an ATM. I tried four different machines, and each wanted to apply an additional surcharge of 200 - 250 INR to the transaction.

What is surprising - there was no surcharge when I tried withdrawal with conversion by ATM’s bank (but the rates were terrible). Also, there was no surcharge when I tried using another card I have.

So, anybody found an ATM in India which doesn’t charge for withdrawals from Revolut?

This was probably fees from the bank ATM, not from :r:

2 Likes

ATMs from SBI were free for me, at least beginning of 2018.

3 Likes

Yes, I know - this is exactly what I’m asking about.
Revolut card was recognised as “foreign” and thus a surcharge was applied.
My other, non-Indian card however, had no surcharges applied. So I’m curious as to how it works.

1 Like

ATMs sometimes distinguish between card types and charge only Mastercard and not Visa or the other way round. Which brands are your two cards?

1 Like

Try HSBC ATM’s next time?

1 Like

SBI (State Bank of India) and BOB (Bank of Baroda) are free.

You can find more here (https://www.tourdumondiste.com/argent-carte-visa-master-card-tour-du-monde) , it’s in french, but just go to the last sheet and find India.

1 Like

Bank of Baroda were free to use on my Revolut Card for me when I was recently there. No surcharge.

1 Like

That might be the case. Revolut is MasterCard, the other one is VISA…

YES Bank is free of fee - July 2019
Other banks like ICICI charged me 236 IRN for each withdraw.