In-app Bill Splitting

Splitting bills is a pain. No one carries around the correct cash, and collecting bank details is a hassle. With Revolut, you can split a bill in seconds using ‘Send’ in the App. Just choose a contact on Revolut, type in the amount owed for :beer::pizza: and Rev it.

We’re exploring how we could make this process even easier. For example, adding the option to just tap on a transaction, hit ‘Split With’ and send a request for the money owed to your friends.

What do you think about this idea? How do you reckon we could make splitting bills even easier?

9 Likes

Hi, great idea. Just make sure we can select multiple people with custom amounts.
I use the “Share-a-bill” app whenever I go on a trip with friends and it works pretty well. Maybe you could look it up. If I could have the whole feature (calculate amount + send/request money) within the app, that would be awesome.

2 Likes

This would be incredible - I proposed a similar idea to one of your colleagues a while back, but a little bit of a different approach. The system I proposed was that you could, for a defined time period (say until 11pm that day), set your card as a ‘group card’ for specific people you choose. They then click ‘accept’, and can perhaps define a maximum spend if they want. Then, any transaction for that period gets split equally between all of the accounts.

This would be so great for group nights out for example, as one person’s card can be used for all expenditure without having to faff around at all.

Great to hear that this sort of thing is on the cards though, however you do it! (Sorry (ish) for the pun).

Thanks as always, Martin

1 Like

My favorite bill splitting app is “Settle up”. It handles multi currencies well. I don’t like the interface, though.

Maybe you could add an option to split an individual transaction or a group of transactions between friends

It would be a super great implementation (maybe after all more important ones like Pay and IBANs for instance).

In fact, some apps and services offers this service like a French one “Sharepay” which gives a free prepaid MasterCard and an app to control the percentage of the splitting… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why can’t Revolut exchange the money automatically to the right currency when accepting a split bill? It already does it when I pay with credit card so technically it shouldn’t be a problem to implement this.

It is really annoying to go to the currency exchange every time someone requests money from me in a different currency, especially if it is a recurring payment.

1 Like

Split bill is already awesome and pretty damn easy to use. One feature I want add to it, or rather, a capability I would extend is having the bill split equally by default as it currently does, but allowing the user to change the proportion of the split. So imagine I went to eat out with a friend, and I ate a fillet steak an had 2 pints of beer, and my friend just ate a pizza. The bill total came to, say, 50 Euro, of which his pizza only cost 10 euro. It would be cool if a bill could be split and, by default, load up 25 each, but allow me to change the proportion easily for me to pay more :slight_smile:

1 Like